• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise; Please help

RobbyKlotz

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So heres the deal. I have a 97 Explorer, XLT. I cannot give a lot of background on it because I bought it used "from a guy". The truck is 100% stock except it has 20" wheels on it, with low profile tires.

While driving, especially at lower speeds where it is easier to hear, I keep hearing a crunching type of sound as the wheel spins coming from the front drivers side wheel area. It makes an awful racket, but I am not sure the best way to explain it other than clanking/crunching.

Naturally, I thought CV joint, so I replaced it however it did not solve my problem. I am not a very mechanical person, I fix things, but I really suck at diagnosing problems.

My stress level has reached an all time high as this is my daily driver to and from work. Only other thing I can think of would be a wheel bearing, but would it make the type of sound that I have described above?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried swapping the front wheels to see if it could be the actual wheel?

Haven't tried swapping the wheels around. However, I will try it. If that doesn't solve the issue, then I will look at replacing the bearing.

Is it a 5.0L V8 AWD? Mine makes the same noise, and I have new bearings. I can especially hear it when next to something that will echo the sound, like in a drive-through. I think it's the front driveshaft.

I changed out the front wheel hub on the drivers side, did not fix the issue. Of course the noise is more noticeable at lower speeds, and stops when you turn.

I am out of ideas, so any help would be appreciated as I am tired of randomly replacing parts.

Unfortunatelly, short of strapping yourself under car while driving, you cannot accuratelly tell if th enoise id from tires, wheel bearings, front shaft bearings or CV joints.
If the noise changes when you turn I would guess is the CV joint, because that's the only part that changes "shape" during turning.

Might lifting the front of the truck on jackstands and turning the wheels by hand to see if there is resistance or noise. If it only happens with weight on the truck and changes with turns, that crunching if might be a ball joint.

If all else fails, go in to Pepboys or some other bigbox chain for a free inspection. They will give you a nice printed list of everything out of spec so you know what to fix along with estimates for those items you dont feel qualified to handle yourself.

I believe I have narrowed down the sound of the noise today. I believe it is coming from the front drive shaft, where it goes into the transfer case.

At this point my only thing to be seen is, what could have failed? To the best of my knowledge (I haven't taken it out yet) the rear of the front drive shift simply goes into the transfer case so there is no U-Joints to have failed. Please correct me if I am wrong, but where should I go from here?

I believe I have narrowed down the sound of the noise today. I believe it is coming from the front drive shaft, where it goes into the transfer case.

At this point my only thing to be seen is, what could have failed? To the best of my knowledge (I haven't taken it out yet) the rear of the front drive shift simply goes into the transfer case so there is no U-Joints to have failed. Please correct me if I am wrong, but where should I go from here?

Front shaft has u joints like the rear does.

What I am curious about is where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. When I get under the truck and move the driveshaft in this area is where I can hear the noise coming from.

From what pictures I can see on this site, is a cup type of thing, but no u-joint. Just this "cup" thing is what has be utterly confused.

It is a type of a cv joint. It can be rebuilt, I did mine. You can get the rebuild kit from Rock Auto. If you are marginally mechanically inclined it isn't too difficult. You have to remove the shaft to do it so replace the front u-joint while you are at it. If you are up to it, this is the part you need.

DORMAN Part # 932201

Here is a how-to guide

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259861

What I am curious about is where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. When I get under the truck and move the driveshaft in this area is where I can hear the noise coming from.

From what pictures I can see on this site, is a cup type of thing, but no u-joint. Just this "cup" thing is what has be utterly confused.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...o43j?counter=0&itemIdentifier=158195_76032_0_

Is this is what you're referring to... it's called a propeller shaft. And it's repairable.

thank you rdw for the information, should there be much side to side/ up and down play where the shaft goes into the transfer case? When I get under there I notice play, and alot of noise, even when I try to turn it. My guess is this "cv joint" is shot and should probably be rebuilt.

Thoughts?

thank you rdw for the information, should there be much side to side/ up and down play where the shaft goes into the transfer case? When I get under there I notice play, and alot of noise, even when I try to turn it. My guess is this "cv joint" is shot and should probably be rebuilt.

Thoughts?

Could be. I didn't have a whole lot of movement in mine, I rebuilt mine because the boot was torn.

Good luck.

Don't underestimate the possibility of the transfer case being bad... My '97 was doing the exact same popping thing, and after replacing the front driveshaft, it ended up being a bad viscous coupler in the transfer case.

Take the front shaft off and take a test drive to see if the noise and vibration is still present. The CV has 6 bolts, u-joint is 4 with 2 retaining straps. Simple & free test. Once the shaft is off, you can also turn the CV by hand and feel for slop or binding.

Take the front shaft off and take a test drive to see if the noise and vibration is still present.
Tell him also that driving without front shaft will stress the vascous coupling inside center differential (that some people still call incorectlly "transfer case" like in the 4x4).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell him also that driving without front shaft will stress the vascous coupling inside center differential (that some people still call incorectlly "transfer case" like in the 4x4).

It's still called a transfer case as it transfers power to the front and rear axles. Even the manufacturer calls it a transfer case.

Back