Adding Remote Start | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start

I too have called several dealers in my area. They all have said that they cannot simply turn on the feature through programming. I will make another attempt and explain that I can provide a video to show them how its done.

My Explorer already has the hood switch installed. So I'm almost there.

Jason - I also sent you an email inquiring about IKT's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have called several dealers in my area. They all have said that they cannot simply turn on the feature through programming. I will make another attempt and explain that I can provide a video to show them how its down.

My Explorer already has the hood switch installed. So I'm almost there.

If it was feasible Id buy another legit VCM2 and rent it out and do remote support and enable remote start and other stuff all day long lol

If it was feasible Id buy another legit VCM2 and rent it out and do remote support and enable remote start and other stuff all day long lol

LOL, I just looked to see what they were going for on Ebay.

Yes for those that don't know the VCM2 is the diagnostic tool that Ford uses for their IDS software which is used for many service functions including enabling remote start. A legit VCM2 costs around $1300-1500 and the yearly license for the IDS software is $700.

My wife's car is a XLT.

It already has the hood pin installed on the car.

Not exactly plug and play if you read all the directions. Yes it is an alternative however the OEM remote start which already exists also controls the climate control system, heated seats if equipped, etc.

The OEM system that the dealer activates is the same system in the owner's manual.

YouTube I linked looks plug and play to me. Yeah, its for a Taurus, but same basic process.

Nothing special, but only $130.

Once installed, press lock button three times and Ex will start with doors locked. When you put your foot on the brake the Ex turns off and you can restart with the key in the ignition.

Provides some security as the doors are locked when starting and if someone broke in and tried to drive off, Ex stops and turns off when brake is hit.

No extra bells and whistles, but does the basic job of starting and heating your Ex in the winter for $130 using OEM keys. If you leave the heat on when turning the Ex off, it will start with the heat where you left it with this remote starter.

YouTube again: http://youtu.be/hlTo68bLMlU

The one I linked for eBay above is for an Ex with a traditional key with "SA" on it, which my XLT has, but they make it for other keys too. Not aware of it working for push to start, but there may be a model for that too.

That price is a bit high if you ask me, all it comes with is 2 keys. While they are OEM keys they can be had cheaper elsewhere. The dealer still has to activate it and probably charges for it. Find out what your dealer is going to charge to activate remote start and cut the keys. Also as noted in the auction if you need a hood pin that is extra.

You can actually buy the F150 kit which comes with an antenna and the same two keys for cheaper. Extra parts that are not needed and it costs less. LOL

Where does the antenna connect too?

On the 2011-2014 (not sure if 15 applies) F150 it plugs into the TPMS sensor which is mounted to the right of the glove box. Let me guess....you have an F150?

No Explorer. I meant where does the antenna plug into on the Explorer?

No Explorer. I meant where does the antenna plug into on the Explorer?

There is no antenna that gets installed for the OEM factory installed remote start used with the IKT remote start key.

The purpose of my post was that your get extra parts (the antenna) in the F150 kit that you don't need and the kit is CHEAPER. This goes for those without the auto rear lift gate since the F150 Keys don't have a button for that. The key fo the F150 and non power liftgate Explorer is the SAME.

got ya. I was thinking the antenna extended the range.

got ya. I was thinking the antenna extended the range.

You can get a couple extended range kits but those do have hardware to install (still plug and play) but the biggest "disadvantage" of those are it uses a separate FOB that has ONLY a remote start button on it. Your other FOB will still work but now you have two separate FOBs.

Just FYI for those without remote start.

I did business with an individual that owns a 2014 XLT and his dealer ONLY charged him $38 to activate the already existing remote start feature! He already had the hood pin and got a remote start IKT from me.

Remote Start

My wife's last Explorer we had a remote start installed, and she mentioned that was the main thing she was going to miss when we bought a new XLT last May. Well with the weather turning and Christmas on the way, I thought that's the perfect gift (was also a gift on her last one), so before I started talking to the local places that sell and install I thought I'd research a bit on the forums here. I'm definitely glad I did. After reading a few posts, people were claiming that all Explorers (except the very base models, which only need a cheap hood sensor pin) come equipped with factory remote start capabilities. The only thing needed is a key with the remote start button and the remote start activated by a Ford dealer.
Two members here were a big help, Riley and JMR061. JMR061 is Jason whose website is http://www.fordpimods.com/. I bought my new key from him and asked all sorts of questions. Riley had the step by step instructions that I was able to print and take to the dealer (Jason's facebook page has video also showing these steps). When I called the dealer, they said the didn't know anything about the activation, but had just installed a remote start on an explorer earlier in the day that required parts and they had about 2.5 hours in it.
I got my key from Jason and took it to the local locksmith for cutting - cost $1 for cutting. With the two keys that came with the Ex. I programmed the new key (info to do this is in your owner's manual). Scheduled an appointment with the dealer and took him the info on the programming. After about 1/2 an hour and $38 labor, I had remote start activated. I didn't realize at the time that they must not have activated the heated seats to come on also, so I have to make another trip to the dealer, but overall I couldn't be happier with the whole experience, or at least the savings.
With the temperatures the way they've been, 8 degrees yesterday morning, my wife got an early Christmas present, and I consider my shopping basically done! Thanks again to both Riley and JMR061!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't tell me it was a X-Mas present! Your welcome. I was happy to help you out.

Back