9" Vs. 8.8

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
I am going to be getting a whole donor vehicle for my SAS I am going to be shortening the the D44.
I will end up running 36-38" tires,~4.88 gears and I have a doubler to install. My explorer is not a daily driver and see lots of tight Pacific northwest trails
I am having a hard time deciding if I want to regear my 8.8 and get new axle shafts for 5 on 5.5, I already have a powertrax noslip in it or
should I sell be 8.8 with locker and put the money towards regearing the 9" and a selectable locker for it, maybe even shorten it.
I can weld so shorten is not a issue.
which is typically stronger pros/cons

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leave the 8.8 in with the locker. Unless you have unlimited funds... in that case, get a 9 inch with a detriot and you will never have to worry about breaking the rearend.

what is the gearing in the 8.8? I personally like the 9" since they are so common and you can find parts for them everywhere. I am also considering the prons and cons of regearing my 8.8 or putting a 9" in back. I already have a 9" pig with 4.27 gears set up

I got 3.73's right now

stock for stock, $ for $, and upgrade for upgrade they are almost equal until you get to HP third's.

If the axles are left full width, is there going to be suspension problems when installing?

Full width is where it's at. The installation is not a big deal, you just have to turn the spring pads on the axle so they line up with the buckets. If you use leaves it's even easier. My avatar is full width.

A shortened width would help on the trails here in WA. Here is a VIDEO on the busy wild trail in the Elbe Hills ORV area, it was taken by some people in a jeep club, I was runnig this trail the same day.
that video is 105 megs

Trckmagik- I have thought of buying your axle but shipping would kill the deal unless it was real sweat :D

If your worried about strength, you're not gaining much if any over the 8.8 over the 9" unless you build the 9" with 35 spline stuff but at that point you might as well go hit the boneyards for a D60.

So it comes down to full width or not...if you are not going full width, just stay with the 8.8 since you already have a locker. Your ahead of the game there. If goin full width then obviously it makes sense to go with the 9" and keep your eye on Ebay and the boards for the parts you need to build it up.

id stay away from any ORV that looked liek that place.... way too much mud for me.

you might want to instruct your friend in how to winch safely.... if someof those cables snapped they would have seriously injured a few people.

Kick ass video!

nissanboy said:
id stay away from any ORV that looked liek that place.... way too much mud for me.

Welcome to the Pacific NW :D

Though I agree and do stay away from places that look like that. Then again I start crying when a raspberry branch adds the 52,384th fine scratch or my emotional breakdown when the branch that scratches is over an inch in diameter :eek:.

OK maybe I'm not that bad but close :rolleyes:

The trail in the video is the "busy wild"
It is only 9/10th of a mile long, the group I was with spent 13 hours going ~4/10th. we were running the trail backwards so right about were the video stopped is were we ran into the jeep club, it was just starting to get dark so we decided to turn around,it took ~2 hours for turn around and we didn't get off the trail till 11:45PM.

So I figure unless I go go full width up front stay with the 8.8

Yuck. That 30 min video had more winching than I've seen in 4 years of wheeling. :p I'll stick with dry & hot, thanks.

dreamr said:
That is some slimy/muddy country this winter. Well probably most of the year knowing our weather.

Not this year, there's NO SNOW! :fire:

Oh wait, the last time I said that we got a foot of new in the mountains, think it will work again? I want to go XC skiing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Albino 94LTD said:
Not this year, there's NO SNOW! :fire:

Oh wait, the last time I said that we got a foot of new in the mountains, think it will work again? I want to go XC skiing

I need 4 low back first but thanks for calling the snow again anyway.:D
201222-6-05_WINTER_DRIVE_001.jpg

Back