Lights, or Running Lights, not both..!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lights, or Running Lights, not both..!?

NightWolf0829

Reaction score
City, State
New Jewseh
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Xl 4x4
Well, my Xplod decides i cant do BOTH running and headlights. I think the switch is broken, but i cant really tell. Ive checked all of the fuses i can find underneath, am i missing a relay or something? I need to get it fixed asap, im a delivery person, and now i cant work nights... Any help is Appreciated..

Thanks Guys!
-J :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Nightwolf :D By running lights are you refering to the 2 lights below the bumper? If not is your vehicle Canadian?My owners manual says ony Canadian vehicles are equipped with daytime running lights(1994). It also says the fog lights only operate with low beams(American). Hope this helps,if not I'm sure someone else here knows.

i had the same problem on my ranger ...i thought the switch so i bought a new one and i went to change it and it turned out the plug that plugs into the switch was melted a bit....so i changed bolth and no problems since then all working good.....hope this helps...

Yeah, im figuring it was the switch... Does anyone know what they paid from the stealership? They seem common to go in cars for the knob-style. And yes, im talking of the lights underneath the headlights. They, and my rear, and my dash, DO NOT light up with the switch, i can have running and interior, or front HL. So i think its the switch..

Thanks Guys!
-J

i got ming aftermarket from Lordco for like 30 bucks......and yes it really sounds like the switch....but make sure u check the plug aswell....

Well, i dug into the problem a bit further, and it is the switch. The plug is fine and everything, but the switch seems to get worse. Will anyplace like AutoZone, or Advance have this part?

Thanks Guys!
Justin

they should...just about any parts store should

Well, i went and got the switch and replaced it. No luck, i found out it was a burnt wire on the actual plug. Its red/green if im not mistaken. That is burnt, along with the actual plug itself being cracked. Does anyone know where these wires lead excatly? I'm going to replace the wire, and i want to make shure its ok to use from now on. Is there possibly a fuse to the whole setup? I shurely hope so.. Is there also a tool to use to get the plug out from the wires safely? I know alot of questions, but its helping me... :D :exp:

Thanks Guys!
Justin

I went to get the part, and no parts store has em' around here. Did you go to the stealership?

Thanks, Justin

I got it from the stealership, does anyone have a pic of what the plug wiring diagram loosk like? i think i screwed some wires up, the running lights work with a door open (hatch or driver door) but dont with them closed..

Any thoughts guys?
Justin

Anyone Have any idea about this issue?

-Justin

i got my plug from the junkyard...im not sure what wires go where but it sure sounds like u have a couple crossed....my wrecker plug had different colour wires then the stock one but i still got it too work fine...u will pretty much have to get a manuel for the wiring diagram..id jsut take it apart again and make sure all the colours match or even try a few different ways....

i did that, but ended up calling a bud in ford dealership. i got exact diagrams.. ill link them if i can for furture refrence. Am i allowed to do that? Thanks all who helped, got it all working like new once again. :)

Cheers all, Justin

Back