What else is this truck famous for? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What else is this truck famous for?

Welcome, as for suggestions... search.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Famous for the worst arm rests ever.
Famous for faulty radio head units...
Famous for faulty drivers side lock that doesnt unlock every time....
Famous for faulty camshaft positioning sensor.

DistortedCloud said:
With all the faults, would anyone get a different ride?

HELLS NOoo! 235000 miles on original drivetrain yeah thats kick ass

oh and the worlds quirkiest abs system. i dunno how many red lights i slid through with all four tires locked up and my foot OFF the brake!!!!

oh and don't foget about the drivers door hinges wearing out.

+1 on the ABS. I slid sideways a few times after an ass cut me off :rolleyes:

Id rather have your bad brakes than my sticky gas pedal.... sometimes when i floor it it stays to the floor and i have to get my foot under it and lift it up.. usually comes at a bad time of course and i have to act fast

Being surprisingly good off road.

DistortedCloud said:
With all the faults, would anyone get a different ride?

Im getting an audi/lexus soon, but explorers will always have a place in my heart :D

Those siestas in the back.

Aloha, Mark

ma96782 said:
Those siestas in the back.

Aloha, Mark

Hahah, true dat!

In my experience:

The bad:

- Door panels/handles easily broken usually on removal
- Nasty engine tick
- Rust buckets underneath
- Temp gauge never read properly

The good which cancels out the bad:

- Strong as a beast, will run to the ground
- And as Mark said, roomy back

The armrest bracket that bakken identifies is the bomb! I had to replace the original plastic one 18 years ago when my 6 yo daughter climbed over it. It's been solid as a rock since then. What a difference steel makes!

Even though they're are many problems with them all the parts are cheap and can be done at home with some hard work and the right tools,plus there's soo many off these at the junkyard,subs sound awesome in them too!

The 4WD Gen1 with Warn Hubs go through the Snow so Good!

Hahaha, this list amuses me. Makes me feel like mine isn't so special after all.

After perusing the junkyard these are what I deem to be "common" problems (that mine just so happens to have too):

- Broken driver's side door handles
- Bad door lock actuators (esp. driver's front door)
- Rear hatch cracks
- Rust around the gas filler cap
- Console lid coming apart

That seems to be it for now....or at least all I can think of :scratch:

How in the heck is it that mine doesn't seem to have had the armrest, transmission, or rusty doglegs.

I guess the rusty doglegs is caused mainly by what area of the country you're in.

My transmission works perfectly at 210,000 and the armrest is perfectly fine.

My aunt owned the vehicle from new to 160,000 and then I bought it, and she kept every maintenance record. Nothing other than a transmission service that I found.

Mine has the towing package, but has never been used to tow, so maybe that has something to do with it (aux transmission cooler and 3.73 gears)

Being surprisingly good off road.

THIS

Famous for being AWESOME

Famous for running forever. (these things run almost as long as an early 80's mercedes diesel)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! Are you people forgetting that your trucks are going on 20 years old? Any 15+ yo truck is going to have many of those same problems.

I changed out my transmission at 175,000. I did a complete change over of my A/C system from R12 to R134 at 180,000. I had my entire RABS system overhauled at 185,000. Other than that, I do agree on the following:

- Notorious outside door handles
- Weak factory arm rest support
- Sagging doors (probably expected after 15 years)
- Poorly designed inside door pulls
- Poor design for RA bushings (note that Ford did away with that idea on later models)
- Terrible location for the resonator and exhaust pipe (resonator always rusts and tail pipe is located such that you can't install rear mud flaps, lest they melt!)

My wife has tried to buy me 2 newer models to get me out of my '91, but it just ain't happenin'. 230,000 and still going strong!

Back