• Register Today It's free!

stupid question time

lycan91

Reaction score
City, State
Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
if i buy a high flow cat will that help with my performance i have a magnaflow xl muffler on right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lycan91 said:
if i buy a high flow cat will that help with my performance i have a magnaflow xl muffler on right now.

In my case I noticed more seat of the pants difference by replacing my cat with a high flow than I did with the cat back exhaust which I had installed first. Not only that, but it made the exhaust sound better :thumbsup:

Lycan, the stock cats actually flow rather well, until they get old and clogged.
replacing the dual cat setup on your truck with a single high flow unit will help gain some performance, especially in the upper RPM range.

Now please reduce your signature, 6 lines is all you are allowed, yours is currently 9 or 10 :)

thanks!

Yep. He's right about the signature...

Rick said:
Yep. He's right about the signature...
sorry about my sig. so it could give me more high end power. hmm.. i seem to lose some power right about 4grand so i tend to shift about 3 grand all the time. i dont know but was thinking about switching mufflers to a flowie 40 i want sound and im not real impressed with my mags sound but i did notice a difference in power so im stuck in a hard spot. :banghead:
i know i ask a lot of probly pretty stupid questions but im not trying to annoy anyone i just want my truck to be like some ive seen on here and want to get some friends in the process. and theres been some great help on past questions so thank you to everyone here.

I see no stupid questions here hommie
the 4.0L doesnt like 4200 RPM< it falls flat on its face...opening the intake and exhaust will make it more rev happy.
But first things first, if its high miles first you should be getting it into a good state of tune.

Intake and exhaust = you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck
The OHV 4.0L is picky picky too if you open th eexhaust too much you will lose low end and high end, it wants back pressure.
best exhaust setup I found for my 93 OHV was 2.25" single pipe into a 2.25" single cat, then 2.25 pipe into a 2.5" single in/out muffler with 2.5" pipe out the back

Muffler brand choice is preference really as long as we are tlaking decent designed and flowing mufflers. You can maintain some backpressure by keeping the 2.25" pipe to the muffler and cat

my baby just rolled over to 189000 i almost cryed and i think that it is basicly all stock and im pretty sure i need to do a basic tune up (plugs and such) so you saying stick with my pipes i have on there. I was goin to order a K&N cone to put on my masf. i know that will help me i put a K&n in a crx i had (just a lil round filter on top of the carb.) and im not to sure i understand the back pressure thing i know if i open my exaust to big it wont run right but other than that might as well speak spanish to me. thoughts? i want my truck to be pepy and sound vicsious .

Here's a thread that covers a lot about what you are looking for and considering doing.
Alec's thoughts on Mods

o yea the intake makes a nice diff and so does the exuast. Do not gut the cats and have no cats though it gains high end but loses alot of low end not worth it so get a high flow cat you will like it.

cool thanks im hoping do put a k&n filter on my maf soon is there a adapter i need or will it clamp right on?

i know you can by an adaptor off the internet i made my own for my truck i will try to post pic later if i can find the camera

so what does the adapter look like or how does it work i cant really figure how to work this question. they dont come with the cones? where does the adapter fit on to?

Back