A day on the trail. :) Many Pics | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A day on the trail. :) Many Pics

Where are the test pcs .. of the vehicle submerged up to the windows!!!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't look homemade at all... That's a helluva project to attempt! Excellent work!

Based on what I've heard about the 3rd gens being submerged, water up to the windows on the outside will yield approximately the same amount inside. Can't remember who it was, but buried theirs up to the top of the tires and the cabin started taking in water.

LOL! I have no intention of getting anywhere near that amount! Not without my own scuba gear, at least.

It doesn't look homemade at all... That's a helluva project to attempt! Excellent work!
It's not really home made; more like home modified to fit. But thanks. Was a bit scary, but I worked from the inside out so if the inner guard cutting didn't work, it wouldn't be seen. The triumph was felt at the stage when the fender was held up ready for mounting, and everything just slid together with no dramas!

Water up to the doors and leaking in, that would have been me... LOL

why not trim it back to the elbow and have a plastic welder weld a fitting (like plastic 3" hose tail) on that you can then put a flexible section on to perform your turn
Scotty

why not trim it back to the elbow and have a plastic welder weld a fitting (like plastic 3" hose tail) on that you can then put a flexible section on to perform your turn
Scotty

Not a bad idea. There's a polastic welder near work - might pop out there one lunch time (when I'm allowed to take the truck to work).

Not a bad idea. There's a polastic welder near work - might pop out there one lunch time (when I'm allowed to take the truck to work).

When you're "allowed" to take the truck to work?? :confused:

When you're "allowed" to take the truck to work?? :confused:

Yep. The truck is the family car, so the missus has it most of the time (because of the kids). The things I sacrifice! ;)

I defiantly know that feeling but it is all worth it in the end cause next year it is time for a new vehicle for her so then i get the ex all the time.

A couple of recent pics with wheels, snorkel, etc. One at home, and one on the way to a trail in the middle of suburbia.
Snorkel_Fitted_Modified_3.jpg

Snorkel_Fitted_Modified_4.jpg

it looks horn at the front man
Scotty

it looks horn at the front man
Scotty

Thanks - that's not a horn though; it's a winch!

One of my mates' brothers saw it last week and told me it stands out like dogs balls; a good description I reckon. Just needs to come up 1.5" or so at the front and i'll be happy.

how thick it the plastic on the snorkel? what about using a heat gun to heat up the plastic to shape it to the window a little. i would think it would give enough stretch without breaking or tearing the plastic then just krylon it black.

i do alot of fiberglass systems and interiors so maybe i can try to glass one to fit the explorer if more people where interested and if i get the time before my deployment. you could easily make it more of a molded shape to give it a clean streamline around the fender up to the roof

how thick it the plastic on the snorkel? what about using a heat gun to heat up the plastic to shape it to the window a little. i would think it would give enough stretch without breaking or tearing the plastic then just krylon it black.

i do alot of fiberglass systems and interiors so maybe i can try to glass one to fit the explorer if more people where interested and if i get the time before my deployment. you could easily make it more of a molded shape to give it a clean streamline around the fender up to the roof

It rnages from 2mm to 5mm thick, so should be easy enough to do, i guess. My solution has been to add a 3" silicon joiner on the outside, so it looks a little better now, as it's not so obvious that the join is there.

Figured I'd bring this back from the dead, went out and had some fun today.
Sorry for the poor quality, it was a still frame digital camera taking short videos.

th_P1010.jpg

th_P101000.jpg

th_P1010003.jpg

th_P1010005.jpg

th_P1010007.jpg

th_P1010009.jpg

th_P1010034.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet! Keep it alive!

Back