02+ Explorer Leaf Springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02+ Explorer Leaf Springs

ibowl9

Reaction score
I have an 04 FX4 Ranger. I am looking to get around 2 inches of lift in the rear, but without stiffening it up a lot. I know i can put the leaf springs from an 01 or older Expo on and gain the 2 inches i want. The problem is finding a low mileage 01-older Expo that would have good condition springs. Will the springs from and 02-newer Expo bolt right up to my Ranger with the same effect as 01-older?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waht about longer shackles??!!

Waht about longer shackles??!!

Shackles are my next option if i can't find a good set of Expo springs. A good set of springs will give a little more lift than just shackles, and shackles will cause my stock Ranger leaves to flatten out quicker.

the 02+ explorers have IRS so no leaf springs on them. That being said the sport tracs had leaves thru 2005 I believe.

Ok, so scratch the idea of using 02+ Expo leaves... lol I looked around, there are no junked/wrecked Sport Tracs around me... Thanks for the info.

the 02+ explorers have IRS so no leaf springs on them. That being said the sport tracs had leaves thru 2005 I believe.

Will a leaf pack from any year sport Trak fit on a 2nd gen. explorer (1998 sport)?

Do you know of any threads in this forum that talk about this?

I appreciate any help.

Will a leaf pack from any year sport Trak fit on a 2nd gen. explorer (1998 sport)?

Do you know of any threads in this forum that talk about this?

I appreciate any help.

I'm not sure, the 01-05 should since they're based on the 2nd gen frame, but if you want to be safe the 01 and older explorer ones will fit.

explorer_mountaineer_navajo.php
I'm not sure, the 01-05 should since they're based on the 2nd gen frame, but if you want to be safe the 01 and older explorer ones will fit.

Yes, I do know that 94-01 Explorer Leafs will fit my 1998 Sport, but like ibowl9 was saying it is hard to find any with low mileage, so it sounds to me like the 01-05 Sport Traks would be an easier search.

Also you mentioned that the 02 Explorers have IRS. What exactly does IRS mean? I am assuming some type of coil spring, but this is confusing to me because I keep seeing sites that list 2002+ Rear Leaf Springs. I did manage to find a site that listed applicable leaf springs dimensions. I have tried to insert that an image of that site in this post. It shows that the Sport Trak springs are just a bit off (about 1/16") from the Explorer Leaf Springs.

Couldn't figure out how to get the image in so here is a link:
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog/tables/explorer_mountaineer_navajo.php

I thing the Sport Trak will probably still work in the Explorer.

explorer_mountaineer_navajo.php

Yes, I do know that 94-01 Explorer Leafs will fit my 1998 Sport, but like ibowl9 was saying it is hard to find any with low mileage, so it sounds to me like the 01-05 Sport Traks would be an easier search.

Also you mentioned that the 02 Explorers have IRS. What exactly does IRS mean? I am assuming some type of coil spring, but this is confusing to me because I keep seeing sites that list 2002+ Rear Leaf Springs. I did manage to find a site that listed applicable leaf springs dimensions. I have tried to insert that an image of that site in this post. It shows that the Sport Trak springs are just a bit off (about 1/16") from the Explorer Leaf Springs.

Couldn't figure out how to get the image in so here is a link:
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog/tables/explorer_mountaineer_navajo.php

I thing the Sport Trak will probably still work in the Explorer.

looking at that chart they should work just fine, and be a hair stiffer than those of the 2nd gen 4 doors.

The 02 plus listings you are seeing are for sport trac's. IRS means independent rear suspension, It's like your front suspension, except it has coils on all 4 corners, instead of torsion bars.

Thanks techiemann33!

Back