My 1996 XLT stalls, and is hard to start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1996 XLT stalls, and is hard to start.

crobey

Reaction score
City, State
Va Bch
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I all,
just had a question about my 1996 ford explorer xlt, it has been dying on me ,,,but heres the part i cant figure out,,,it just dies for no reason and at different times, like when im driving down the road it will just die,,i pull over, wait a few seconds and it starts right back up,,,,or sometimes as i am getting ready to slow down at a light it will just die,,,, also if i let it idle in the drive way for half an hour or so ,,and then turn it off and try to start it back up it takes a few trys before it will turn over,,also when I try to start it it sounds like it not getting spark or get fuel,, but the after a few trys it starts right up and may not do it agine for a few days, all the lights stay on dash lights all stay on ,,it doent sputter or shake it just shuts off nice and quite, also it will do this for a couple of days ,,then it may be a week or so before it does it agine. I changed the EGRI valve and but still does it, any suggestions would be a great help, you can email me a crobey@verizon.net.. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^^^^

bad fuel pump or bad fuel pressure regulator,

I all,
just had a question about my 1996 ford explorer xlt, it has been dying on me ,,,but heres the part i cant figure out,,,it just dies for no reason and at different times, like when im driving down the road it will just die,,i pull over, wait a few seconds and it starts right back up,,,,or sometimes as i am getting ready to slow down at a light it will just die,,,, also if i let it idle in the drive way for half an hour or so ,,and then turn it off and try to start it back up it takes a few trys before it will turn over,,also when I try to start it it sounds like it not getting spark or get fuel,, but the after a few trys it starts right up and may not do it agine for a few days, all the lights stay on dash lights all stay on ,,it doent sputter or shake it just shuts off nice and quite, also it will do this for a couple of days ,,then it may be a week or so before it does it agine. I changed the EGRI valve and but still does it, any suggestions would be a great help, you can email me a crobey@verizon.net.. thanks

Fuel pump could be bad but don't eliminate the relays (fuel pump and computer). Does the Check engine light come on when you first turn the key and it don't start? If it dont you have a bad relay.

You could have a bad crank position sensor too.

Don't just replace parts. Get a fuel pump tester and see if you have 35psi or so when you turn the key. Make sure you have voltage going to the pump.

ill put money on the fuel pump. i had a VW that would run until the pump got hot, then just die. it would show 44 psi at key on then 36 on idle, everything was good with it. then it would run great i mean i could dog it for about 15 mins then boom its dead. would idle for a half hour or so then boom its dead. you get the hint here. lol fuel pump bro.

Back