• Register Today It's free!

Improved the intake for cheap

12secondv6

Reaction score
City, State
Hewitt, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 4.0
I've been racing and modifying vehicles for many many years.

I was doing a full tune up on the truck and tossed around the idea of getting a cold air kit. I read tons of reviews/ dyno results and couldn't justify spending the money on my snow truck so I decided to make my own improvements.

I got a drop in k&n air filter
I then removed the stock air silencer
I then began cutting the entire front of the air box off so thagt it is completely open. It went from a small 2.5 inch circular opening to a 6+inch by 6+inch opening.

It made a difference on the truck - increased sound upon WOT was noticed right away and it seems to have picked up a bit of power.

I do feel that a true cold air kit would yield more hp/ tq but I just couldn't justify spending the money.

I'll get pictures sooner or later and post them up.

I have zero concern about possible rain water or leaves and crap getting in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I look forward to seeing the modification. Did you get any better gas mileage?

swiss cheese link...

couldn't resist...link doesnt work, for me anyway...

Same mod I did on mine!! K+N filter and remove frt snorkel and cut a 3X6 hole in frt of air box. Replaced muffler with a flowmaster with 2 1/2 inch tailpipe and shazamm the power increase and sound definately increased:biggthump

I did something similar.

100_0731.jpg

Was it a noticeable improvement or does it just sound like it has more power? Also was there any change in MPG?

Can anybody explain how to remove the silencer cone from the 2nd gen airbox without destroying it? I did this mod recently but had to leave the silencer as i think i will have to patch the holes in order to return the truck to stock and pass CA emissions. (Somebody please correct me if im wrong, as this is my first vehicle registered in CA). Would much rather remove the silencer and have something that looks like Keeper's though.

cone filter

I put a ricer car cone filter on mine. I drilled and tapped holes in the steel base for the MAF to bolt to. I then built an air box out of aluminum that also holds the unit from bouncing around. I got the filter for free, so I'm only in it for the 8 rivets I used to attach the airbox to the inner fender.

I also put a Flowmaster Y pipe on it, dual 2.5" into a single 3". Then I ran a single 3" Hooker Aero Chamber and 3" tail pipe. I ended up replacing the tailpipe w 2.5" when the 3" rusted out and fell off. It sounds better w the smaller tail, 3" is just too big for the lil 4.0 SOHC.

It sounds way better and I believe it runs better on the mid-range to top end. I have wondered about getting a tuner for it, but it has 140,000 miles on it and is a rebuilt barrel roll special. Not sure if it would be worth the investment.

intake venturi (cone deal)

If I remember correctly, the "cone-deal" just quarter turns in. I removed mine for awhile before I made my own CAI.:thumbsup:

Can anybody explain how to remove the silencer cone from the 2nd gen airbox without destroying it? I did this mod recently but had to leave the silencer as i think i will have to patch the holes in order to return the truck to stock and pass CA emissions. (Somebody please correct me if im wrong, as this is my first vehicle registered in CA). Would much rather remove the silencer and have something that looks like Keeper's though.

The silencer just pulls out. If you're concerned about the emissions hit up a Pic-a-part and grab an extra lower intake before you've got to do the smog.

Remove air box

I putting in a new blower motor and I need to remove air filter box and Im removing the silencer also. The box seams to be bolted down.

The air box should just pull out, at least on the V8 it does. It takes a little force to pop it loose. You can see the pins holding it in on post #6 & #11

I have zero concern about possible rain water or leaves and crap getting in there.

I know you're not worried about this, but does anyone else think that it could be a problem? Especially if you live in a very rainy area? I'm just not sure if water would splash up there.

I have the same thing a k&n drop in with the front of the box cut then dual pipes cut right after the cats with no muffler, and a henson performance tune, and i can feel a power increase.

BUT I do a lot of offroading and driving through water up to about the bottom of the doors, and I have taken the filter out after driving through deep water and it definitely gets inside the box so be careful if you do alot of water crossings, etc.

Eh, I did it and I definitely hear it, and I feel a very slight power increase, but not much. I'll just be careful through big puddles.
And dabrown, it seemed to take a lot of force to get mine out. Just keep pulling though. For the bottom part, try to hold the metal that the box is hooked to with one hand, and pull the box up with the other. That'll stop the metal from flexing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the full K&N intake have like 3yrs with it, the cai lowered me 1sec from 17.5s stock to 16.1s so it does increase hp and trq,

Back