Oh no!!!! Tranny fluid is clear and o/d flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oh no!!!! Tranny fluid is clear and o/d flashing

Sloalty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4.0
Checked tranny fluid and it is clear watery looking. Tranny hunts for gear on interstatenthen throws the po741 262k on tranny and no previous service knowledge. Got car with 225k on it and fluid was red back then.

Why does this happen? I heard it is so burnt it burned the color out of the fluid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flashing means there are code(s) set I believe. Should read the codes and see where that takes you. I've never heard of fluid burning clear, very dark brown yes but not clear... not that I know everything mind you... I can offer you a bump at the very least.

You have the 4R44? PM me and I will send you the ATSG pdf if you want it. Might help out?

po 741 a code I'm guessing... skimming and not reading. Sorry.

I believe it is 4r55e. And the code shows tcc shut off. It locks up like it should but any slight press of the gas it will pop out. It does this 5 times then throws the light and code and won't lock up again till it sits. It was worse when it was hot outside.

The code is for an electrical malfunction the torque converter lockup solenoid.

I can't think of anything that would make the fluid clear and watery. Other than sucking in a massive amount of water into the trans. If the cooler line through the radiator goes out (not uncommon) and trans oil mixes with coolant the result is a pink milk shake looking mess.

I would NOT drive the truck any further. Anything other than transmission fluid in the transmission is very bad news, and will lead to major mechanical damage of the internal parts.

Back