2013 Limited: Collision Warning System inoperative | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited: Collision Warning System inoperative

Asystole

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi. For any of you who have a 2013 Ex with the 'Collision Warning System', can you please tell me how it works for you? Do you get the red lights on the dash / windshield regularly and as you would expect? I ask because I don't believe the system is functioning in our car.

The 2012 XLT we test drove had the system, and the red lights came one whenever we were closing on a car ahead of us, such as approaching cars at a traffic signal, etc. The 2013 Limited we have never displays the lights, never gives an audible warning, even when I have attempted to create the conditions that should have caused the alert. I have checked the settings, and the system is on and is set to the highest sensitivity.

I had the car to the dealer, who said they cleaned the radar, and in a condescending move, photocopied the relevant pages of the manual and left them in the car for us as if I hadn't read them several times.

What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. For any of you who have a 2013 Ex with the 'Collision Warning System', can you please tell me how it works for you? Do you get the red lights on the dash / windshield regularly and as you would expect? I ask because I don't believe the system is functioning in our car.

The 2012 XLT we test drove had the system, and the red lights came one whenever we were closing on a car ahead of us, such as approaching cars at a traffic signal, etc. The 2013 Limited we have never displays the lights, never gives an audible warning, even when I have attempted to create the conditions that should have caused the alert. I have checked the settings, and the system is on and is set to the highest sensitivity.

I had the car to the dealer, who said they cleaned the radar, and in a condescending move, photocopied the relevant pages of the manual and left them in the car for us as if I hadn't read them several times.

What are your thoughts? Thank you.
I don't understand how a dealer can confirm that it is working simply by cleaning the radar. I would have thought a road test would be required to check it out.

I have had my 2011 for over a year and the only time the radar gets cleaned is when the vehicle gets washed. Went through the Winter without a problem or vehicle wash.

Peter

I don't understand how a dealer can confirm that it is working simply by cleaning the radar. I would have thought a road test would be required to check it out.

I have had my 2011 for over a year and the only time the radar gets cleaned is when the vehicle gets washed. Went through the Winter without a problem or vehicle wash.

Peter

How does it work for you, though? Do you see the lights go on the dash/windshield? What make them light up for you?

I think you have to be pretty close and coming up pretty fast for it to go off, kinda to the point where slamming on the breaks will soon be warranted.

A couple of folks here have had it activate, so maybe one of them will see this thread and post here.

The scenario that results in the warning activating most frequently for me is when the car ahead of me is turning off the road. I know they are going to soon be off the road and out of the way so I am closing on them quickly.

Mine is set to the normal sensitivity. I've tired the high sensitivity setting but found that it results in a lot of false warnings for guard rails, etc. If your never getting warnings on high sensitivity then I think you have a problem. (Or you drive a lot differently than I do!)

I've had mine go off several times actually. Most every time the car in front of me was making a right hand turn and the truck thought I was going to hit it. You can set the sensitivity of the system. I have a 12 limited.

Thank you. This is what I expected. I have it set to the highest sensitivity, yet I get no response from the system under any circumstances.

How does it work for you, though? Do you see the lights go on the dash/windshield? What make them light up for you?
Mine works just like the 2012 you test drove. It usually alerts with sound and lights when I come up behind a vehicle making a turn similar to what the above posts acknowledged. Knowing that the vehicle ahead is going to turn, I slow down but don't usually hit the brakes figuring the turn will be completed before I come to that point. The radar sees that I'm closing the distance too quickly for its liking and sets off the alarms. I believe the sensitivity is set to Normal.

Peter

Back