CV 'clicking' but boots are intact. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV 'clicking' but boots are intact.

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
For about a week Ive been having a really bad squeak from the front passengers side when I go over bumps, turn sharply, etc. Occasionally I also have the CV clicking sound from the same side, but not continuously.

I gathered from a number of posts that the ball joints are the likely culprit of the squeaking. I bought the needle grease fitting expecting to just re grease them and be done. Well, once I climbed under my truck I saw all 4 joint boots are toast, almost completely gone. Looks like they've been that way for a while too. Odd that the squeaking just started a week ago, and there's virtually no play in them either. :dunno:

Question is the boots on the CV axles are fine. No splits or anything. Could the bad ball joints cause pressure on the axles enough to make them click? If Im switching out my ball joints and my CV axles are bad Id rather do it all at the same time, but if they're not bad Id obviously like to not spend the extra $$$ replacing parts that are still good. Especially because I just replaced the fluid in the front diff.

Thanks!

For about a week Ive been having a really bad squeak from the front passengers side when I go over bumps, turn sharply, etc. Occasionally I also have the CV clicking sound from the same side, but not continuously.

I gathered from a number of posts that the ball joints are the likely culprit of the squeaking. I bought the needle grease fitting expecting to just re grease them and be done. Well, once I climbed under my truck I saw all 4 joint boots are toast, almost completely gone. Looks like they've been that way for a while too. Odd that the squeaking just started a week ago, and there's virtually no play in them either. :dunno:

Question is the boots on the CV axles are fine. No splits or anything. Could the bad ball joints cause pressure on the axles enough to make them click? If Im switching out my ball joints and my CV axles are bad Id rather do it all at the same time, but if they're not bad Id obviously like to not spend the extra $$$ replacing parts that are still good. Especially because I just replaced the fluid in the front diff.

Thanks!
Jack it up, turn the steering all the way to lock, both directions, while steering held all the way over, have someone spin the front wheels and listen for noise. Just because the boots are good, doesn't mean the cv joint is good. Your squeaking is most likely fhe control arm bushings. As a test, spray them with lube and see if noise stops in a few days. It may take some time for the lube to work its way into the bushing. You could even use water if necessary. Not my recommendation however.

Back