SYNC Problems and the underlying story | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC Problems and the underlying story

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford really fumbled the ball on this one. Forbes suggests that fixing MFT is a simple matter of software, yet it remains just as clunky as it was two years ago. Hopefully (for Ford's sake if not mine) they're planning on scrapping MFT in its current state completely and starting over. The lipstick on a pig approach hasn't worked out very well so far.

StunnedMonkey said:
fixing MFT is a simple matter of software

You obviously aren't a software developer...

No, I'm not. But the notion that fixing MFT was a simple matter of software was Forbes' assertion, not mine.

It will be interesting to see if Ford can improve MFT via software updates. If not, our generation will remain grumpy owners. At some point Ford will either figure out how to make it usable or abandon the concept in favor of something "new". The latter will leave the current owners holding a stinky bag of gopher entrails.

I personally am a software developer, what was wrong w/ the statement that "fixing MFT is a simple matter of software" ? It seems complete to me. Ford (or it's 3rd party contractors) decided to use Flash, and to stick with Flash for their rewrite. The hardware is more than sufficient, it's a failure to write stable production software that plagues MFT.

Also to the OP, your title suggests there is an issue w/ Sync, you should qualify that you're talking about My Ford Touch (or Sync with My Ford Touch), since sync, and MFT are two completely different systems. They both run on windows auto, but one is stable and near perfect, the other is a wreck.

I personally am a software developer, what was wrong w/ the statement that "fixing MFT is a simple matter of software" ? It seems complete to me.

I personally am a software developer, too. The use of the word "simple" is inaccurate, when describing rewriting a software system that was years in the making and has various hardware/software dependancies and limitations. It's not a "simple" matter of software. It's a "complex" matter of software that takes extensive design, coding, testing, and implementation....not to mention the cost and support requirements. Simple is an emotional response to something complex.

I personally am a software developer, too. The use of the word "simple" is inaccurate, when describing rewriting a software system that was years in the making and has various hardware/software dependancies and limitations. It's not a "simple" matter of software. It's a "complex" matter of software that takes extensive design, coding, testing, and implementation....not to mention the cost and support requirements. Simple is an emotional response to something complex.

You reworded what was said. They are implying that it doesn't require any hardware changes, or manufacturing changes, that it's simply software. This is a case of "simply" horrible software and framework decisions. They had the opportunity and time to go through the complex process of rewriting the software, and chose to take the easy way out and stick with flash, what isn't simple about that?

Play nice or there will be some vacation time in order;)

Nevermind, Rick beat me to it.

:salute:

Back