Air Intake Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Intake Help

tylereckhart

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
I recently had to rebuild my engine after flooding it. I was told the problem was i allowed my intake to get wet, i would like to get a new intake for the performance boosts as well as one that is mounted higher so i dont flood it ever again. i have noticed you can buy water shields but i dont know exactly what intake would work well on my stock 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. I have been looking at this one

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2537

and

http://www.kustomz.com/054002.html

I was going to get a watershield but any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. i like to mud and get dirty i just want to be safe and avoid making the same mistakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure if you are getting deep enough to flood your intake, then a snorkel is what you need. Got any links to these water shields?

If you are going to be deeper than your hood in water, you need a snorkle. I have a Volant C.A.I. and it has a box around it, which helps prevent water from getting sucked in. Neither of the two you posted have boxes, so they will suck up water very easily.

I've missed something = Pls help me understand your snorkle

Unless the rest of the engine, electrical, vents, tranny, etc. etc etc are sealed, then why do you need to have a snorkle?

When enlisted, I drove a HumV with a snorkel but that was learning in training that I can pull open the canvas roof and stand to drive while under five or so feet of water.

The Explorer is not 8or10 thousand pounds and not sealed to drive under water as my HumV was and so I don't understand why you'd need to put a snorkel.

Otherwise, I have done some plastic molding, would it be so adventageous of myself to make a true to fit snorkel for Explorers??? How many ppl would buy one?

Back