Rig being towed 700 miles, tranny ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rig being towed 700 miles, tranny ?

Lafferty

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Hey, I am moving out to ohio and my truck is being towed on a dolly from uhaul, which means only two tire will be off the ground. Should i put the front tires up and leave it in neutral? will that damaged the transmission? Im thinking it would since the tranny fluid is being pumped through it. Could i Back it on the dolly and just lock the steering wheel? Or should I just disconnect the driveshaft from the rear differential. How would I go about doing that? I have a good idea but any advice is appreciated. Thanks once again guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's an auto definitely don't drag the back wheels in neutral. The auto relies on the engine driven pump to circulate the fluid.

Regardless going that distance I would disconnect the driveshaft. It's an easy 4 bolts on each end.

i would do the front wheels on and disconnect the drive shaft as a second option my first option would be to trailer it if that is possible u haul has a trailer to what ever you do use just make sure to check the tie downs that hold it down i would say about every 250 miles or so and when you stop to make sure it don't come lose.

Uhaul will NOT allow you to tow an explorer on a dolly....you have to use a full car trailer and what ever is towing it have to be like double the weight of the ex and trailer. ..ask me how I know...!!!!!!:mad::mad:

This is what happens when you break down on a Sunday 200 miles away from home... costed me over $500, dad had to rent it in va beach because only place that had one and open.then drive 200 miles to pick me up and then drive back!!!!!

2012-11-18172031_zps79df50b2.jpg

Ok, if i drop my driveshaft will tranny fluid leak out of the transmission? Also, if so, how do i prevent that? And yes uhaul will allow my rig to be towed on a dolly so long as it is strapped on and the driveshaft is dropped. I have larger tires but they are only 10.5" wide so my wheelbase is not too large for the dolly. And of course you need a larger vehicle to tow a 5000 pound behemoth.

Ok, if i drop my driveshaft will tranny fluid leak out of the transmission? Also, if so, how do i prevent that? And yes uhaul will allow my rig to be towed on a dolly so long as it is strapped on and the driveshaft is dropped. I have larger tires but they are only 10.5" wide so my wheelbase is not too large for the dolly. And of course you need a larger vehicle to tow a 5000 pound behemoth.

I not about being to wide.there car dolly has a max weight ccapacity of 3, 900 lbs.I do t know who told you or is allowing you to do it but they are NOT aloud to let you

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=TD

No fluid won't leak out. All of the bolts that hold the driveshaft in are external to the grease and oil.

Thank you JD I did not know that. I will remmeber to always check the specs and not just trust the "expert" at Uhaul. Gracias. Atleast I don't have to drop my driveshaft now. :)

Thank you JD I did not know that. I will remmeber to always check the specs and not just trust the "expert" at Uhaul. Gracias. Atleast I don't have to drop my driveshaft now. :)

I mean if they let they let you.I've seen people tow explorer on dolly before but not a uhaul dolly.if they rate it at 3, 900 your not much over it but towing 700 miles I would be concerned
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, just didn't want you to plan on it and grt there and they tell you different.hell they might let you slide but are not spose to:(

I had to tow one of my explorers last week using a uhaul truck and tow dolly. I just told them it was a 94 Grand Cherokee.

SQnOhCW.jpg

oXOJiPv.jpg

And I would be first one where something would happen. ......

Back