Ford Introduces EcoBoost Interceptor Utility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Introduces EcoBoost Interceptor Utility

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Page...ow Offers 365 Horsepower EcoBoost Engine.aspx

I think I can hear the Chrysler and GM Police Program Engineers sobbing.

This is a big deal for Ford as it will likely destroy the Police Tahoe PPV market.

For retail there are usually some good engineering upgrades that come out of the Ford Police Program. Bigger brakes on all models is one of them.

Saw my first CHP EX driving home on Friday. Sitting on the side of the 118 running radar (according to the detector). I almost wanted him to pull me over so I could ask to see inside.

Smart move but they should have done this from the beginning. I'm sure they lost sales to competitors because all they had was the 3.7. I know they changed the programming and shift points of it but still, the 3.7 in a heavy SUV is not enough in my eyes when you need a pursuit vehicle.

Smart move but they should have done this from the beginning. I'm sure they lost sales to competitors because all they had was the 3.7. I know they changed the programming and shift points of it but still, the 3.7 in a heavy SUV is not enough in my eyes when you need a pursuit vehicle.

I believe the V8 Tahoe is ~320hp (5.3 liter). Curb weight is very similar to Ex, I don't think the difference between the 306hp 3.7L and the competitors offerings is really that much, especially given the better handling of the Explorer. This will however give them an edge over competitors going forward.

This will be great for those who want the ex to race... ecoboost without all the Sport bells and whistles...

I asked the engineers when they released the Sport, why not Police too. The answer I got had to do with cooling. The Michigan State Police tests and the LASD tests are brutal on cooling and brakes.

I'm guessing that's been solved.

I'm driving a 2013 Interceptor Utility3.7L now and its pretty fast IMHO.

I asked the engineers when they released the Sport, why not Police too. The answer I got had to do with cooling. The Michigan State Police tests and the LASD tests are brutal on cooling and brakes.

I'm guessing that's been solved.

I'm driving a 2013 Interceptor Utility3.7L now and its pretty fast IMHO.

Real question is, why didn't they go ahead and do a 3.7L ecoboost? ;)

I asked that too and was advised the engineering development costs outweighed the likely retail take rate.

I've driven the Charge, Crown Vic and Explorer. I like the Explorer the best. The Charger was fast but had tons of blind spots. I got the Explorer up to 115 mph responding to a priority call on a long straight stretch of road. It felt planted on the road and had plenty of room for the gear. The brakes are what make the vehicle. Having more go isn't everything in a police vehicle. The steering wheel controls also turned on the lights which was awesome. I might have a photo of the one I drove.

I asked that too and was advised the engineering development costs outweighed the likely retail take rate.

they could easily transition it into the consumer market though. They could offer the limited w/ ecoboost (3.5L), and then upgrade the sport to the 3.7L ecoboost .. they'd probably make up the dev cost in the limited w/ 3.5eco option alone

they could easily transition it into the consumer market though. They could offer the limited w/ ecoboost (3.5L), and then upgrade the sport to the 3.7L ecoboost .. they'd probably make up the dev cost in the limited w/ 3.5eco option alone

Why spend the money for such a miniscule increase in displacement when they could achieve the same results from software tuning or revised cams?

my neighbor is a cop and asked me how I liked our sport. I said I lovedit....he responded he hates his explorer, said it was underpowered and rode like crap compared to his crown vic. Was going to let him take ours for a spin to see how he'd like the 3.5 EB. I didn't realize the interceptor only had the 3.7, for some reason I thought it had the 3.5 EB all along.

The Interceptor Sedan always had the EB 3.5L option and many people thought that carried over to the Utility as well when the new vehicles were introduced. Im surprised to hear he prefers the old technology in the legacy CVPI. Great vehicle for its time but the 3.7L has AWD power and significantly more HP and torque. Definitely not underpowered, thats not accurate, I drive it everyday.

Why spend the money for such a miniscule increase in displacement when they could achieve the same results from software tuning or revised cams?

if you're gonna spend development money on tuning and cams, why not do it on the engine w/ slightly larger displacement? ;)

So this past week I got to drive the pre-production versions of the Interceptor Utility EcoBoost.

I must say I was concerned about possible torque steer but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was almost non existent. What's interesting is the way they have programmed the transmission to anticipate stop and go acceleration.

The transmission programming is set to hold the RPM higher before shifting.

Drove somewhat different then the Sport.

I asked if the Police EcoBoost engine was same as the Sport and one of the engineers laughed then told me the crank, pistons, everything inside is different.

The vehicle has a distinct mesh grill with the word INTERCEPTOR across the hood where the Sport has EXPLORER.

I will get a picture out ASAP.

Would love to pick one up in few years when they go up for sale. Make a nice mountain bike/camping getaway vehicle. No worries about interior damage lol.

Wonder what they would sell for once the miles rack up ?

image004.png

So this past week I got to drive the pre-production versions of the Interceptor Utility EcoBoost.

I must say I was concerned about possible torque steer but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was almost non existent. What's interesting is the way they have programmed the transmission to anticipate stop and go acceleration.

The transmission programming is set to hold the RPM higher before shifting.

Drove somewhat different then the Sport.

I asked if the Police EcoBoost engine was same as the Sport and one of the engineers laughed then told me the crank, pistons, everything inside is different.

The vehicle has a distinct mesh grill with the word INTERCEPTOR across the hood where the Sport has EXPLORER.

I will get a picture out ASAP.

I thought the ecoboost already had forged internals. What else would they make different inside I wonder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not an engine guy but the engineers advised its not the same.

Back