MFT "alert: tone distortion

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
A couple weeks ago I noticed the tone that sounds to indicate that MFT has activated after the button is pushed was sounding "fuzzy" and not a crisp tone. It was slightly distorted. The same was occurring for the other tones that sounded, but not the MFT voice.

Weird.

Yesterday I pulled the battery cable (I'm through with crawling under the dash to pull the fuse)

After the system rebooted, the tones sounded clear again.

Just another frickin' MFT issue.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dco43054, save yourself the trouble and use the MFT reboot app explained in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390880

It works great and doesn't reset all the other stuff like pulling the battery.

Now that you have pulled the battery (i guess depending on how long you left it off) will reset things like the adaptive transmission learning which learns how your drive and adjusts your shift points, etc. The ex might drive slightly different until it relearns your driving style.

The a reboot app works great, I just leave in on a spare usb drive in my glovebox. Anytime MFT acts funny a quick reboot usually corrects the issue.

Jeff

I'm aware of that - thanks.

I find that a 10mm wrench (to disconnect the battery cable) is much easier and faster with no nasty side effects. My opinion is that it is good to clear the Ex's mind every now and then anyhow.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the tone that sounds to indicate that MFT has activated after the button is pushed was sounding "fuzzy" and not a crisp tone. It was slightly distorted. The same was occurring for the other tones that sounded, but not the MFT voice.

Weird.

Yesterday I pulled the battery cable (I'm through with crawling under the dash to pull the fuse)

If this starts happening again, dco43054, please shoot me a private message. Thanks!

Rebecca

Well, that fix lasted 5 days. Thursday night it started doing the same thing again.:rolleyes:

Getting distortion on the cellphone handsfree at the same time, but it's hard to tell if the two are connected.
If this starts happening again, dco43054, please shoot me a private message. Thanks!

Rebecca
PM sent.....

Well, that fix lasted 5 days. Thursday night it started doing the same thing again.:rolleyes:

Getting distortion on the cellphone handsfree at the same time, but it's hard to tell if the two are connected.PM sent.....

My local dealer chased this for a long time, have them check your speakers they have swapped 5 out in mine as they have "torn/failed" i don't listen to loud music and one even randomly happened at the dealer while they were testing. they swap a speaker I'm good few a few months then randomly another one failed with the exact kind of problem, it seems worse on the tones but some music will cause it too.

My local dealer chased this for a long time, have them check your speakers they have swapped 5 out in mine as they have "torn/failed" i don't listen to loud music and one even randomly happened at the dealer while they were testing. they swap a speaker I'm good few a few months then randomly another one failed with the exact kind of problem, it seems worse on the tones but some music will cause it too.
Lovely. I hope I don't have this to look forward to.

I'm thinking it's not speaker related in my case. It was doing it consistently for weeks, then after a reset, it quit. Then after 5 days it started again.

I don't crank the stereo either, so another reason why I think it's in the system.

Thanks! I responded to your PM; I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this. :)

Rebecca
Thanks, and me, too.

For the record, yesterday afternoon, it went back to normal.

I hope this isn't an intermittent problem. They are the worst.

Weird.

Oh oh, maybe I spoke too soon about my 2 week old 2014. Whenever the "tone " sounds before the nav voice comes on the tone is distorted much like a cracked speaker. But, all other sounds are normal. A new bug perhaps?
Keep us posted as to what the dealer finds.
Everything else is great, love the new wheels. Much better than our 2011.

On the way in to work this morning, it acted up immediately. There does seem to be some distortion in the audio too

Oh oh, maybe I spoke too soon about my 2 week old 2014. Whenever the "tone " sounds before the nav voice comes on the tone is distorted much like a cracked speaker. But, all other sounds are normal. A new bug perhaps?
Keep us posted as to what the dealer finds.
Everything else is great, love the new wheels. Much better than our 2011.

snowbird, yours is only doing this with that navigation tone, but nothing else?

On the way in to work this morning, it acted up immediately. There does seem to be some distortion in the audio too

And yours is now all over the place. Has it been intermittent all week or crackly all the time now?

Rebecca

mines been on and off they think its an electronic problem vs speakers now. mine been doing it on/off for almost a year. I'm about ready to just get rid of this thing.

Not crackly, but distorted - like fuzzy.

And yes, it is intermittent.
Have you tried the procedure shown in the 'Sticky' area, "MFT Acting Up? Try This" ? Not sure if it will help.

Peter

Have you tried the procedure shown in the 'Sticky' area, "MFT Acting Up? Try This" ? Not sure if it will help.

Peter
Resetting the system fixed it for a couple days, then the problem reoccurred.

Resetting the system fixed it for a couple days, then the problem reoccurred.

hate to tell you this....

but thats what mine started with...
I've been dealing with this for about 6months now and ford has NO FIX

hate to tell you this....

but thats what mine started with...
I've been dealing with this for about 6months now and ford has NO FIX

Have they replaced the APIM (MFT brain)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes so far that have...

Run 4-5 full tests on all the wiring
replaced the main computer (APIM)
not sure what but they also replaced another part of the radio (but not the computer)
replaced all the speakers (and a few of them a number of times)
reset the system so many time i no long bother using presets on the radio etc cos i just lose them every other week.

i was told they had seen it on one another EX and a number of F series trucks

Back