Need help in disconnect the trans cooler line, can't take the nut off! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help in disconnect the trans cooler line, can't take the nut off!

You need to get a line wrench. Then you may have to heat and bend it to get where you can turn it. I have made many wrenches that way.

ahhh, you've been looking in my "special tool draw" haven't you...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, whatever works. And, a damn sight cheaper than buying a special wrench from the Mac or Snap On truck, right?

All three pipes are rusted and two are leaking badly. $114 for all three including shipping after the forum discount. The box is huge because the irregular shape of the pipe.
Go to your account page on RockAuto, click your order number, tag the 3 pipes for return for whatever reason and click the get return shipping tag. It will show a return shipping cost amount and an option to continue or cancel. At least you can see where you're at...

Bill

Another option would be to use the lines by cutting them off near as you can to the tranny...just use the neoprene to connect them to the old lines .

Finally got time for this. However due to the winter here in MN, I decided to replace one cooler line with rubber line. I went to Autozone and was introduced to the fuel line. So I brought 4ft and cut the rusted line and replaced it with the fuel line.

The fuel line is rated as 150PSI. I am not sure whether it is neoprene or not. Did a 5 mile test drive with 4 miles highway and the rest local and felt that the line is a little warm in touch. Doesn't seem to get hot.

I will get it replace with the steel line once it gets warmer next year. Any concern in the short term? I drive 20 miles one day for work and most are highway.

Finally got time for this. However due to the winter here in MN, I decided to replace one cooler line with rubber line. I went to Autozone and was introduced to the fuel line. So I brought 4ft and cut the rusted line and replaced it with the fuel line.

The fuel line is rated as 150PSI. I am not sure whether it is neoprene or not. Did a 5 mile test drive with 4 miles highway and the rest local and felt that the line is a little warm in touch. Doesn't seem to get hot.

I will get it replace with the still line once it gets warmer next year. Any concern in the short term? I drive 20 miles one day for work and most are highway.

Gas hose is neoprene. You're good to go! Cheers!

transmission lines don't have much pressure at all. somewhere between 15-20 PSI. if fuel line is okay to use for hot trans fluid (i'm not saying it's not) i wonder why they sell line which is specifically marked TRANSMISSION COOLER?

transmission lines don't have much pressure at all. somewhere between 15-20 PSI. if fuel line is okay to use for hot trans fluid (i'm not saying it's not) i wonder why they sell line which is specifically marked TRANSMISSION COOLER?

Beats me!
But I think there is some rubber hoses at the cooler from the factory?

Yes, there is one ft rubber line which connects the steel cooler line with the radiator/cooler. You can see it if you take the bottom cover down. I took that rubber line as well as part of the steel line off and use the new rubber line directly.

Yes, there is one ft rubber line which connects the steel cooler line with the radiator/cooler. You can see it if you take the bottom cover down. I took that rubber line as well as part of the steel line off and use the new rubber line directly.

I thought there was. I remember seeing it when I replaced most of my steel tranny lines with rubber.:thumbsup:

yes. there are 2 short pieces that connect the metal lines to the cooler. i believe they use these to not fatigue the metal line due to chassis/body flex. the only problem i see with running long lengths of rubber/neoprene lines is that they may rub on stuff and you don't want to get a hole in one of these lines (you will get stuck. you may ruin your trans. you can catch fire.) but using a short piece for repair, or braided line, should be ok.

So may be we shall make a metal shield for the rubber line - I am joking.

I don't run off road and I plan to replace the rubber line with the steel line next spring. From what everybody described here, I am OK in this particular case.

I appreciate everyone's comment and help. Have a good holiday season.

So may be we shall make a metal shield for the rubber line - I am joking.

I don't run off road and I plan to replace the rubber line with the steel line next spring. From what everybody described here, I am OK in this particular case.

I appreciate everyone's comment and help. Have a good holiday season.

you'll be fine. i've been running braided trans lines on my '54 F100 pickup for over 14 years now w/out any problems.

Back