UPDATE: Factory "Stop Shipment" on all 4wd Explorers! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE: Factory "Stop Shipment" on all 4wd Explorers!

JimiJak

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Got this email from Ford Marketing Manager just now. I have a 2014 sport on order, ready to ship from Chicago to Grand Rapids Mi.

Thanks for the note----and I understand the customer’s frustration, especially as they wait on a fantastic Sport unit. We have a stop ship at the moment involving all units equipped with 4WD (and as you know Explorer Sport has 4WD standard). The issue involves a driveline vibration, and they are testing all units at the plant and making repairs as necessary prior to shipping. The fix has been identified and repairs are underway now. The team is prioritizing retail units, with the full understanding that loyal customers are out there waiting. Please hold tight, we’re pushing hard to get these units into customer’s hands as quickly as possible!

Matt Zuehlk | Marketing Manager | Ford Explorer + Flex |

- updates as soon as I get them!
- Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got this email from Ford Marketing Manager just now. I have a 2014 sport on order, ready to ship from Chicago to Grand Rapids Mi.

Thanks for the note----and I understand the customer’s frustration, especially as they wait on a fantastic Sport unit. We have a stop ship at the moment involving all units equipped with 4WD (and as you know Explorer Sport has 4WD standard). The issue involves a driveline vibration, and they are testing all units at the plant and making repairs as necessary prior to shipping. The fix has been identified and repairs are underway now. The team is prioritizing retail units, with the full understanding that loyal customers are out there waiting. Please hold tight, we’re pushing hard to get these units into customer’s hands as quickly as possible!

Matt Zuehlk | Marketing Manager | Ford Explorer + Flex |

- updates as soon as I get them!
- Jack

GLAD THEY FOUND IT.

Unfortunately some of them got out to consumers. Taking it in tomorrow and will be copying this so they can keep the car until its fixed.

Does anyone know how far back this issue goes? We received our 14' Sport from factory in October.

GLAD THEY FOUND IT.

Unfortunately some of them got out to consumers. Taking it in tomorrow and will be copying this so they can keep the car until its fixed.

Good luck getting a dealer to fix an issue that's not even in the system yet.

Good luck getting a dealer to fix an issue that's not even in the system yet.

Then I will request a loaner until its ready.

Seriously, the vibration is bad enough to the point where I am not comfortable driving it. Can't be good for the drivetrain either, and I don't want any long term damage done because of it.

Hopefully they will accommodate, otherwise I hope they're willing to extend a warranty so that I don't have future issues.

Hopefully they will fix cars on the road before they work on other stuff, so if it has to sit at ford until they figure it out......then it is what it is.

Will this delay the build dates of ordered Explorers? I have a Sport on order due to be built mid February with a tentative delivery date of March 9th.

Will this delay the build dates of ordered Explorers? I have a Sport on order due to be built mid February with a tentative delivery date of March 9th.

I have to imagine it would delay delivery as it should prolong production. Although, I suppose that it would really depend on what is involved in making this repair. If it's isolated to a department than can handle the repairs without affecting the rest of the plant, you might stay on schedule.

FYI: We ordered late November...our build date was 01.08.14...the truck was "finished" the end of last week...and I got this email yesterday (wed). So, they're not exactly humming right along.

I ordered a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited which was built early January and delivered to the dealership near the end of January. I won't be picking the vehicle up for a couple of months. Does anyone know how I can find out if my car was affected by this issue and what course I would need to take? Thank in advance!

Thanks for the heads up Jimijak

Thanks for the heads up. My dealer says my ETA is this week though Crystal said it's next week. Not thrilled to hear it may be delayed, but if problems get fixed I'm happy.

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread. Thanks in advance for any updates.

Great... mine was built sometime 1/30-2/4, got an email from the dealer saying it was built and waiting to be shipped on 2/5

Anybody know how I can find out if mine was affected, and if so, was it fixed.

Great... mine was built sometime 1/30-2/4, got an email from the dealer saying it was built and waiting to be shipped on 2/5

Anybody know how I can find out if mine was affected, and if so, was it fixed.

Ditto

I think we're all on the same page as far as our hunger for knowledge goes. My interaction with the production division is via my dealer. I have him inquiring on further details regarding this repair…but I haven't heard anything back yet.

In reading post 1 of this thread I would guess that this vibration issue affects all 2014 AWD models whether in production, shipped or delivered. There have been members who have taken delivery of their Explorers and noted this issue in the 2011 - 2014 Discussion thread. Check out the last page in this thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313947

The vibration issue appears to have been around since the 2011 model. Not every Explorer has it though. I have a 2011 and it has been an excellent vehicle all around. It is possible that not all 2014 AWD models are affected but it seems to be enough of an issue that Ford has decided to check into it. Perhaps it could also be a result of the continued reports of previous year models as well.

I will check with one of our Ford reps that monitors our forums to see if she can provide any more insight to this stoppage. It is possible that she may not be 'in the loop' on this at all.

Peter

It's true and is affecting my order placed in November 2013

Been 3 months since I placed my order and for the last 3 weeks my 2014 Explorer Sport has been "ready, awaiting shipment from the factory". The dealer did not have any info beyond that, said it "could be weather related". That's quite a stretch obviously, so I looked online and found this thread. Thank you to the originator of this thread for sharing this.

Went back to the dealer and let him know about this situation, and armed with this information he was then able to confirm with his ford rep that in fact my vehicle is held up because of this exact issue. Ford is being tight lipped about it as I understand, because they don't want a mass perception of QA issues to dent the brand momentum. That's why apparently they weren't even telling the dealer.

I get that but a customer really shouldn't have had to wrestle this information out. Get the calls out to the customers early and you are less likely to be faced with a brand perception issue. After having me wait 3 months I think Ford owed me a little more than "ready for shipment... any day now" for 3 weeks.

I'm going to wait a week and then move on. That Explorer Sport is a sweet ride, but nothing is worth an indefinite wait. Been a lifelong Honda-Acura owner so back to the MDX perhaps. Might shake my head in annoyance the next time I see a Ford ad targeting Honda owners.

Been 3 months since I placed my order and for the last 3 weeks my 2014 Explorer Sport has been "ready, awaiting shipment from the factory". The dealer did not have any info beyond that, said it "could be weather related". That's quite a stretch obviously, so I looked online and found this thread. Thank you to the originator of this thread for sharing this.

Went back to the dealer and let him know about this situation, and armed with this information he was then able to confirm with his ford rep that in fact my vehicle is held up because of this exact issue. Ford is being tight lipped about it as I understand, because they don't want a mass perception of QA issues to dent the brand momentum. That's why apparently they weren't even telling the dealer.

I get that but a customer really shouldn't have had to wrestle this information out. Get the calls out to the customers early and you are less likely to be faced with a brand perception issue. After having me wait 3 months I think Ford owed me a little more than "ready for shipment... any day now" for 3 weeks.

I'm going to wait a week and then move on. That Explorer Sport is a sweet ride, but nothing is worth an indefinite wait. Been a lifelong Honda-Acura owner so back to the MDX perhaps. Might shake my head in annoyance the next time I see a Ford ad targeting Honda owners.
Welcome to the Forum antan.:wavey:
If they have to fix the problem on all those 'awaiting shipment' you can then expect to see 'back to the factory' as the next status. The same thing happened with some of the 2011 models when they had an issue with the seats.
If you move on, I suspect you will likely lose any down payment you gave them. The good thing is that Ford realized there was an issue and is attempting to resolve it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum antan.:wavey:
If they have to fix the problem on all those 'awaiting shipment' you can then expect to see 'back to the factory' as the next status. The same thing happened with some of the 2011 models when they had an issue with the seats.
If you move on, I suspect you will likely lose any down payment you gave them. The good thing is that Ford realized there was an issue and is attempting to resolve it.

Peter

I don't know about Canada but in the USA, they can't legally keep your deposit if you change your mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about Canada but in the USA, they can't legally keep your deposit if you change your mind.
Good to know. I've never had the requirement to get a deposit back here so I don't know for sure.

Peter

Back