UPDATE: Factory "Stop Shipment" on all 4wd Explorers! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE: Factory "Stop Shipment" on all 4wd Explorers!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to quickly reach out with the info I just received. There was an issue that was discovered during routine quality checks; every unit will be repaired prior to customer pick-up at their dealerships. As always, the best way to find out the status of your ordered vehicle is to reach out to me or your sales rep. Folks in Canada can PM my colleagues on the forum, FordServiceCA. Here's a link to their profile: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=233337

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am picking up my explorer in a couple hours and I brought all this to my reps attention who told me that ford would NEVER ship anything with an issue.......and if they DID, all the dealerships would be notified of the issue. He then went on to tell me there is NO issue with the explorer and says my info sources are incorrect. Great.

I am picking up my explorer in a couple hours and I brought all this to my reps attention who told me that ford would NEVER ship anything with an issue.......and if they DID, all the dealerships would be notified of the issue. He then went on to tell me there is NO issue with the explorer and says my info sources are incorrect. Great.
Welcome to the Forum Hurley5.:wavey:
I guess he never received the memo. It goes to enforce the statement I have made many times on this Forum that communications isn't Ford's strong point.
Tell him that it was Ford's Marketing Manager that mentioned this and it was confirmed by the Ford reps on this forum. Perhaps you should print out the 1st post and hand it to dealer.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I wanted to quickly reach out with the info I just received. There was an issue that was discovered during routine quality checks; every unit will be repaired prior to customer pick-up at their dealerships. As always, the best way to find out the status of your ordered vehicle is to reach out to me or your sales rep. Folks in Canada can PM my colleagues on the forum, FordServiceCA. Here's a link to their profile: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=233337

Crystal

Crystal,
Thanks for looking into this, but that doesn't tell us much about what was found, or what repairs are being made. Was it something as simple as an off balance axle, or was there more to it? This seems like good information to know what's been found / fixed as far as possible future repairs go.

Thanks again!!
Jack

Crystal,
Thanks for looking into this, but that doesn't tell us much about what was found, or what repairs are being made. Was it something as simple as an off balance axle, or was there more to it? This seems like good information to know what's been found / fixed as far as possible future repairs go.

Thanks again!!
Jack

Hi Jack,

As soon as I know, you'll know. I haven't received any new information as of today, but if I do, I'll post it to this thread. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hurley,

So you're saying the dealer told you something that will make you buy the car and not run out the door? Isn't shocking, is it? :)

It is possible that your explorer was manufactured at a facility that is not seeing this QA issue. Good luck.

Hurley,

So you're saying the dealer told you something that will make you buy the car and not run out the door? Isn't shocking, is it? :)

It is possible that your explorer was manufactured at a facility that is not seeing this QA issue. Good luck.
All 5th gen Explorers are made at the Chicago plant. In 2015 China will be producing them as well but likely only for the Chinese market.

Peter

Been 3 months since I placed my order and for the last 3 weeks my 2014 Explorer Sport has been "ready, awaiting shipment from the factory". The dealer did not have any info beyond that, said it "could be weather related". That's quite a stretch obviously, so I looked online and found this thread. Thank you to the originator of this thread for sharing this.

Went back to the dealer and let him know about this situation, and armed with this information he was then able to confirm with his ford rep that in fact my vehicle is held up because of this exact issue. Ford is being tight lipped about it as I understand, because they don't want a mass perception of QA issues to dent the brand momentum. That's why apparently they weren't even telling the dealer.

I get that but a customer really shouldn't have had to wrestle this information out. Get the calls out to the customers early and you are less likely to be faced with a brand perception issue. After having me wait 3 months I think Ford owed me a little more than "ready for shipment... any day now" for 3 weeks.

I'm going to wait a week and then move on. That Explorer Sport is a sweet ride, but nothing is worth an indefinite wait. Been a lifelong Honda-Acura owner so back to the MDX perhaps. Might shake my head in annoyance the next time I see a Ford ad targeting Honda owners.

This is better (according to Ford)

Customer lack of trust is promoted.
Quality issues and lack of information to customers are well documented for Google and other search engines for years to come.
Dealers are thrilled that they are provided no details.

I guess ford never heard that bad news does not get better with age.

Thanks for the support folks! Got the explorer and quickly brought up the driveline issue and requested info as to whether or not mine was repaired. He said he is now aware of the driveline issues....lol.....and if mine was affected, the dealership would have received word from the plant (I have 0 confidence that this is true!). So I am to "monitor" the explorer......hahaha. Never having owned an explorer before I am unsure what is normal and what would be considered the issue people are experiencing. I DO have a low rumble at 70km/hr that goes away upon accelerating past that......nothing that seems alarming......yet. I'll update how things progress. Overall, it's sad, though, when ones' experience doesn't really match the advertising out forth by Ford.

This seems like good information to know what's been found / fixed as far as possible future repairs go.

This is exactly why Ford won't let you know what it is. They don't want people running to the dealership claiming a problem and pointing to pre-delivery fixes. As in the past, you will simply be told that is was fixed.

This is exactly why Ford won't let you know what it is. They don't want people running to the dealership claiming a problem and pointing to pre-delivery fixes. As in the past, you will simply be told that is was fixed.

Ford documents problems and issue TSBs all the time to correct issues. Either vehicles will have "The issue involves a driveline vibration..." as stated in the email or they will not. The cat is already out of the bag.

Ford trying to pretend that the issue or details do not exist would infer they choose not to stand behind or admit to manufacturing issues. Issuing a TSB or similar documentation would support that quality is job 1 and any issue that arises will be corrected. Not being upfront and trying to hide information about driveline vibration issues would seem to indicate quality is not job 1 in my opinion.

Hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube once it is out on the counter. These are my opinions and YMMV.

Either vehicles will have "The issue involves a driveline vibration..." as stated in the email or they will not. The cat is already out of the bag.

The context of the email (read the first few lines) suggests that it was sent to the dealer, not directly to the customer. My point is you wouldn't see specifics sent directly to a customer.

The context of the email (read the first few lines) suggests that it was sent to the dealer, not directly to the customer. My point is you wouldn't see specifics sent directly to a customer.

I would agree with you if the dealer had not sent the email to the OP for all the world to see.

Now that it has been sent to customers and posted here it makes more sense to say we found a, b, c stopped production of the units and did x, y, and z to insure the customers got quality products. A straight forward explanation makes more sense to me at this point.

With out identifying what ford believes to be the start date for the issue. how it is detected and how it is corrected there will be people wondering what is wrong with mine or what is wrong with the fix if ford is afraid to share the information now that it is public knowledge.

If it were not public knowledge then they could easily handle it differently. But like I said earlier it is hard to get the tooth paste back in the tube once it is on the counter.

An email update I just received from my dealership concerning my 2014 Explorer Limited I ordered back in mid-December.

"Jim,

This is moving again. We should see it very soon.

Erik"

So perhaps we are seeing the retesting/repair of the production built vehicles (mine was built on January 10) and moving forward with shipments to the dealer.

I am looking forward to finally getting mine!

Got the explorer

What date did you order and/or what was your build date? Basically I'm asking whether your delivery was delayed.

I would be willing to wait for issues to be fixed, but since my leased G37x needs to be turned in by the end of February I'm getting a little nervous that I'll be forced to rent a car if delivery on my Sport is delayed much beyond my current ETA of 2/19. Unless I can convince my dealer to give me a loaner...

What date did you order and/or what was your build date? Basically I'm asking whether your delivery was delayed.

I would be willing to wait for issues to be fixed, but since my leased G37x needs to be turned in by the end of February I'm getting a little nervous that I'll be forced to rent a car if delivery on my Sport is delayed much beyond my current ETA of 2/19. Unless I can convince my dealer to give me a loaner...

I will say that my ETA to dealer was not delayed and the current date is 2 days earlier than was originally estimated. I ordered end of December and was built 2/9. ETA to dealer is 2/24. Not sure if that helps.

We ordered our Sport the last week of November. Build date was 01.08.2014. It has been listed as "awaiting shipment" since 02.04.2014...I got the email from the marketing manager on 02.05.2014 and have not been told anything since.

I see you both have an "ETA to Dealer"...how did you find this?

I contact FordService on here once a week. Last time I checked with Crystal, it was built and awaiting shipment with an ETA to dealer of 2/24. The previous week was 2/26. Always subject to change though. We'll see what she says later this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I contact FordService on here once a week. Last time I checked with Crystal, it was built and awaiting shipment with an ETA to dealer of 2/24. The previous week was 2/26. Always subject to change though. We'll see what she says later this week.

Ahhhh...That's strange. I have been in contact with her too (probably way too often). She shows it awaiting shipment, but no ETA...Just lucky I guess. :banghead:

Back