No Tire Pressure Readout?

IamJAd

Reaction score
City, State
So. Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Ford Explorer Limited
TPMS reading

I know we have a light that says when a tire(s) is under inflated. Is there any place we can get an actual reading by PSI, on any screen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know we have a light that says when a tire(s) is under inflated. Is there any place we can get an actual reading by PSI, on any screen?
I am 99.9% certain the answer to your question is NO. In the many times I have read through the Owner's Guide, I have not come across any information that indicates that actual pressures can be displayed.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Isn't it suppose to show up on the MFT ------just kidding
pressure reading would make the cost go over 50K

you just have to reverse pair your tires to the mft [sic]

OK, this may just be whining and overall I'm pretty happy with my new LTD, but with all the electronics, sensors, and monitoring capabilities......there is no tire pressure readout? My last three vehicles have had inidvidual tire pressure readouts on the dash. I would still check the old-fashioned and accurate way every month or so, but it's still nice to have that capability while you're driving. With TPMS already there, it seems it would have been pretty easy to have provided pressure readouts vs the VERY low pressure idiot light.

I am hoping I just haven't found it yet and someone can call me a nit-wit and point out that it is actually there somewhere, but it doesn't appear that way in the vehicle or the owners manual.

OK, this may just be whining and overall I'm pretty happy with my new LTD, but with all the electronics, sensors, and monitoring capabilities......there is no tire pressure readout? My last three vehicles have had inidvidual tire pressure readouts on the dash. I would still check the old-fashioned and accurate way every month or so, but it's still nice to have that capability while you're driving. With TPMS already there, it seems it would have been pretty easy to have provided pressure readouts vs the VERY low pressure idiot light.

I am hoping I just haven't found it yet and someone can call me a nit-wit and point out that it is actually there somewhere, but it doesn't appear that way in the vehicle or the owners manual.
I can call you a nit-wit if you really want me to, but no, there is no readout of the tire pressure available on the Explorer. FYI, the 3 Highlanders I had previously also did not have a readout. You can stop flipping through the manual for that item now.
Welcome to the Forum bbinwv;2817234.:wavey: I hope you continue to enjoy the new vehicle.

Peter

TPMS used to be a luxury item, now its required by law. Since every car has them now, the easy way to do it is to just have a low pressure alert if a sensor detects one. My old car, a mazda, didn't even tell me what tire was low when i had a flat. I have no idea if the Ex will or not.

TPMS used to be a luxury item, now its required by law. Since every car has them now, the easy way to do it is to just have a low pressure alert if a sensor detects one. My old car, a mazda, didn't even tell me what tire was low when i had a flat. I have no idea if the Ex will or not.

My last '09 Enclave CXL gave a pressure reading for each tire.

X doesn't, sorry

Tire pressure

Is the pressure shown in any of the menus or does the warning light just come on leaving you to figure out which tire is low?

Is the pressure shown in any of the menus or does the warning light just come on leaving you to figure out which tire is low?

Sorry, no pressure readings currently, just a low pressure light from TPMS if the pressure goes below a predetermined threshold.

One of my pet peeves, for a vehicle of this caliber this should be standard like it is on many less expensive competitors.

I attempted to send you a PM about merging your thread and using the 'Search' program before posting but your inbox is FULL. You will not be able to receive any Private Messages unless you delete some of the existing ones.

Peter

My '08 Chevy Malibu 1LT had it. It was great knowing what the pressures were at each corner. And I only payed $20K for it!

The implementation of the TPMS system is awful on the explorer. The vehicle has the sensors, the ECU has the data, but they chose not to display it. Whats worse is you have to program each wheel to its position, yet when you have a low tire the system won't tell you which one it is. Sometimes its not visually obvious when you are only down 5-10#s.

Lol, after the firestone incidents with the 2nd Gen Explorers in the 90s, you would expect for them to display the tire pressure for you.

The implementation of the TPMS system is awful on the explorer. The vehicle has the sensors, the ECU has the data, but they chose not to display it. Whats worse is you have to program each wheel to its position, yet when you have a low tire the system won't tell you which one it is. Sometimes its not visually obvious when you are only down 5-10#s.
I agree a full display would be 'nice to have' but I don't see it as a necessary item. I've managed to survive 50+ years of driving without it. The Highlander I had previously had the same TPMS type as the Ex. I only received a warning once and after parking and doing a walk around, it was obvious which tire was the problem. Besides that, I also always carry a tire pressure gauge in the vehicle.

Peter

My wife has a 2013 BMW X3, and it has a TPMS display that shows all four tires. But it only changes the color of a tire if the pressure is low. It doesn't show the actual readings. I did get a bootleg program that allows you to change some settings in the computers. I was able to turn on the feature that shows the pressure and temperature next to each tire. This is especially nice since most BMWs come with run flat tires that don't look low when they are.

I don't know which is worse, the Explorer that doesn't display the pressures or the BMW that comes with the ability to do it but it is turned off.

I don't know which is worse, the Explorer that doesn't display the pressures or the BMW that comes with the ability to do it but it is turned off.

The explorer uses a standard sensor that transmits the data. The explorer is the same as your BMW, the info is there but the programmers chose not to display it.

I agree a full display would be 'nice to have' but I don't see it as a necessary item. I've managed to survive 50+ years of driving without it. The Highlander I had previously had the same TPMS type as the Ex. I only received a warning once and after parking and doing a walk around, it was obvious which tire was the problem. Besides that, I also always carry a tire pressure gauge in the vehicle.

Peter

I carry a gauge too. I agree, TPMS is not necessary and i wish i could choose not to have it. However, since its installed and i'm paying a premium for it I expect it to operate better and be more useful.

I used to own a mini cooper that had TPMS. That system piggy backed off the ABS system and used rotation counts to determine if a tire was low. Way easier system to use and the tires don't use sensors, so no added cost when doing a summer/winter setup. This system in the end gave you the same info as the explorer, a single light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure the health report gives you psi by tire. Still not as nice as GM though where they give you the reading for each tire real time.

Back