anyone replaced coil springs with moogs to restore the ride height and add washers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone replaced coil springs with moogs to restore the ride height and add washers?

Chrome_Rush

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 2wd 5
So here's the deal I put 31x10.5 bfg all terrains on my 91 4 door 2wd 5 speed. Obviously the stock springs have sagged over the years and the tire is slightly rubbing the inner fender plastic on the front side of the wheel well. Only I don't know how much it's sagged front and back. It sits almost level in back only about a quarter inch difference. The front passenger side is just a hair lower then the back, half inch tops. The driverside where the rub is happining is more like a full inch lower then the back. I also believe I am hitting the bump stops up front on larger bumps causing a rough ride.

I want a SMALL amount t of lift to restore it back to stock height, plus just a bit over. Not knowing how much it's sagged over the years makes that a bit hard though.

I want to do the warrior shackles in back for a 1.5" lift in back. I want the front level with that. it sits close to level now so I was thinking either an aluminum 1.5" coil spacer with the stud extension, or just doing a stock replacement coil spring to restore it to stock ride height as well as a few spacers under the spring for the little extra. Issue with this, I don't k ow how much lift from where I am now the springs will give. I would hate to install and have it only lift it a quarter to half inch. I would end up having to buy spacers anyways.

So my main question is has anyone replaced their sagging springs with the moog cc868 springs? And if so what is your front ride height so I can measure where my front end will sit and figure out how many spacers if any I will need to level it with the shackles. Or if the springs won't do anything for me height wise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMHO, aftermarket parts store springs tend to have decent ride quality, but horrable longevity in comparison to the OEM springs. especially factory replacement springs.

my suggestion, is that if you are looking for a little bit of lift to comfortably clear the tires and achieve a more aggressive look, you should spend a few more bucks on a set of reputable 2.5" lift springs. once they are broken in and sag a little, you should be right at 2" lift over stock and you will keep a good ride.

however, you may also be able to get ahold of some new OEM springs if you are dead set on keeping OEM ride quality.

Cheapest option is to search around for F150 coil spacers - they should net you about 1.5" of lift up front without having to run stud extenders/ replace your coils. They are a discontinued part from the Ford dealer, but I recently bought a set off Ebay for $45 to pick up my sagging Skyjacker 5.5" springs back to the correct specified height.

Red Eddie is right about an aftermarket 2" or so lift coil. Skyjacker seems to have a good rep as a soft durable coil, but they do sag a bit over time. Popular opinion suggests you can run about a 2" lift coil and still be able to align your truck for the correct camber - much more and you will run out of adjustment running stock axle pivot brackets.

Cheapest option is to search around for F150 coil spacers - they should net you about 1.5" of lift up front without having to run stud extenders/ replace your coils. They are a discontinued part from the Ford dealer, but I recently bought a set off Ebay for $45 to pick up my sagging Skyjacker 5.5" springs back to the correct specified height.

Red Eddie is right about an aftermarket 2" or so lift coil. Skyjacker seems to have a good rep as a soft durable coil, but they do sag a bit over time. Popular opinion suggests you can run about a 2" lift coil and still be able to align your truck for the correct camber - much more and you will run out of adjustment running stock axle pivot brackets.

I have a skyjacker 2" "lift kit". IDR if it came as a kit but I have 2 inch lift front coils and add-a-leafs in the rear. When I did my camber I had to by an aftermarket camber/caster bushing in order to fix the 2.6 degrees out of alignment (2.6 degrees positive camber) I was, but this only cost me something like 30-50 dollars and my local carquest had the part.

Total I was in the lift kit 230 dollars, then I added 200 dollars in shocks so it came out to a grand total of under 430 dollars to pretty much rebuild the suspension and lift it two inches.

Im super happy with the skyjacker stuff, albeit it is a wee bit stiff. I went with rancho shocks (some 10 stage variable dampening things from rockauto) and all in all I love the setup. Also the ride height (with 31's) I think is perfect... almost wish they woulda came this way.

If you're trying to fix sag I would suggest doing what I did. YEs you could add shackles and spacers, but then you wouldn't actually be fixing the problem, you'd just be fixing the cosmetic "sagging" issue.

Or of course you could go back to OEM for probably the best ride.

I have used Moog replacement coil springs on many vehicles and they always work great and last a long time. My current and previous Explorers both have Moog HD springs installed on the front. With Warrior rear shackles and F150 coil spacers under the Moogs you will clear 31s just fine. I ran 31.6" tires with that setup, though wheel offset was a slight issue because I had later model Sport Trac wheels.

The f-150 coil spacers are not an option for me since the 2wd has a much shorter stud for the spring retainer to bolt down and the studs will not come out. I don't want the lift coils as I don't want that much lift. I have seen several pics of the rough country 1.5" lift coils and they are going to lift it to much for what the rear shackes will compensate for. Every one I have seen with the lift coils and shackles the front always sits higher. I only want it maybe 2" higher then it is right now. So probably an inch higher then stock. I don't need much to clear these tires with no rubbing. I get no rubbing on the passenger side at all as is, the driver side sags a bit more though and rubs a bit. If I did the lift coils I would probably need an add a leaf and the shackles to level. I really don't want to have to do all that, then have the alignment be even more difficult to get right. That's why I was considering just using stock replacement heavy duty moog coils for the 4x4 and stacking a few washers to rake care of the front sag plus a little extra. But again not knowing where the ride height is after the install of the moog cc868 I really have no way to know how high it will sit from where it is now to know if I will be happy with the setup or not.

Are you aware the 2wd has two nuts as well as the bolt is a thread in from the bottom of the I beam?

I just played with a 2wd ranger in the junkyard a few weeks ago and realized this very fact. 1 1/8" wrench for the bolt and nuts.

Not try to insult your intelligence, and I wasn't trying to either.

Yes I'm aware I have had it all completely apart. I got the spring nut off but the lower arm bolt and top nut/stud would not budge. I actually snapped both my 24" long breaker bars trying to get the lower bolt out, not the top. That was when I was trying to unbolted the radius arm to change the bushings and ended up having to completely drop the I beams and radius arms to change the bushings. If a 24" breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe over it, soaking it in penetrating oil for days and heating it red hot wouldn't get them out I don't see any way they are ever coming out. I did get my ex on some level ground today and found the ride height is very even in all 4 corners. With a full tank of gas (I measured at the grocery store parking lot just after filling the tank) the right rear is only 1/4" lower then the right rear. If the left rear leaf was weak it would be a bigger difference then that. I'm sure the whole thing has sagged but it has done so very evenly. The right front is acactly the same height as the right rear at 18.5" from the center of the center cap on the wheel to the fender lip. The left rear with a full tank is only .25" lower at 18.25". The left front isn't as bad as I thought but still sits a bit lower at 17.75". It's a half inch lower then the rear of the same side while it's even on the right. Empty the rear likely sits even and there is probably only a half inch difference between the front and rear on the left. The right would probably still be even. I'm thinking all springs have sagged, but much more so on the front left corner. New springs up front should fix it.

Never mind the replacement coils, can someone with a stock height explorer 4x4 take measurements so I can compare, from the center of the hub to the fender lip? (To eliminate tire sizeing and wear as a variable) Im just tryimg to get a ball park of where a stock 4x4 will sit. I may just get some 4x4 coils from a junk yard with a few washers as spacers and the warrior shackles.

Never mind the replacement coils, can someone with a stock height explorer 4x4 take measurements so I can compare, from the center of the hub to the fender lip? (To eliminate tire sizeing and wear as a variable) Im just tryimg to get a ball park of where a stock 4x4 will sit. I may just get some 4x4 coils from a junk yard with a few washers as spacers and the warrior shackles.

I don't know if you saw this thread, but they had some measurements of stock height explorers.. Don't forget to take into account the height of the tires (235 vrs 225 tires vrs your 31's).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150247&highlight=measure+fender+height

~Mark

19.5 inches in the front 18.5 inches in the back.

Tank is less than half full along with tools and spare tire. I also have a sport model so I have a 3 leaf spring setup.

Truck has 227 thousand miles so account for the spring sagging. Running stock 235s.

I also have the sport fender stuff so there might be room for extra height.

Maniac I did see that thread but I hate it when people measure from the ground to the fender. It leaves to much room for error because tire size plays a big part. Even the amount of wear or brand of tire an change the height a bit from one to the next. Measuring from the center of the hub or the bottom lip of the wheel is much more accurate. It removes the tire variable from the equation. It also doesn't state if the ones measured were 2 or 4wd. But given rough numbers a 235/75/15 is about 28.8" tall new. My bfg's spec at 30.7" new. Almost exactly 2" difference overall, which would be an inch added in height to the vehicle. Those vehicles seemed to sit about a half inch to an inch higher then mine does. And I have an extra inch In ride height from the tires. So basically I'm down an inch to an inch and a half from where a stock 4x4 would sit. (Roughly)

mr. Cribb thank you for the measurements it definetely helps with seeing where a similar mileage 4x4 should sit (mines at 243k) you also having the 5 speed helps also. The only extra weight your springs are carrying that mine aren't is the transfer case, the front axle would be unsprung weight and wouldn't be supported by the springs. So mine would likely sit the same as yours. Maybe just a hair higher. That's a full inch higher then my best side in the front and an inch and 3/4 higher then my other side. Accounting for sag on yours a new set of replacement 4x4 coils should lift my front end at least an inch. Possibly an inch and a half. That should get me well within the height I want to be at. If I need a but more height compared to the back after the warrior shackle install It looks like a few washers under the spring would be all I would need. Even a set of 4x4 coils from a junk yard and some washers would work. I kind of like the idea of the better ride from the dual rate moog heavy duty coils though so I think that would be a better route.

Just for reference in case anyone wants it, heres mine with 31 inch tires, 2" skyjacker lift coils in front, and adda leafs in the rear. IMO they should have come like this x D
Ground isn't too level in this pic, front looks a touch higher than rear but in person it doesn't. I love how well the 31's fill the wheel wells
(4x4, xlt)

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/ownage5472/media/IMG_1937.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
IMG_1937.jpg

Just for reference in case anyone wants it, heres mine with 31 inch tires, 2" skyjacker lift coils in front, and adda leafs in the rear. IMO they should have come like this x D
Ground isn't too level in this pic, front looks a touch higher than rear but in person it doesn't. I love how well the 31's fill the wheel wells
(4x4, xlt)

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/ownage5472/media/IMG_1937.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
IMG_1937.jpg

Thanks for the picture reference. That helps me a lot.

Back