Missing roof-rack thumbwheels

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
I've been reading my 2016 Explorer owners manual from cover to cover and discovered how to use the new flush roof racks to tie-down light loads. The section is called ROOF RACKS AND LOAD CARRIERS and it starts on Page 234 of the manual. Then on page 235, the manual says:

"A thumbwheel kit is included in your vehicle for tying light loads to your roof. The kit is located in the glovebox."

Problem is, the thumbwheel kit was not included with my Explorer. I sent an e-mail message to my salesman to report the missing thumbwheels, and he was kind enough to give me a thumbwheel kit that he found in the driver-side door compartment of an in-stock 2016 Explorer at the dealership.

If you're the proud owner of a 2016 Explorer, make sure you have a thumbwheel kit in the glovebox as promised in the owners manual. This is what it looks like:

Thumbwheel%20Kit_zpse4baldyw.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what tool did you use to remove the screws so you can install the thumbwheels?
Thanks

I wondered how I was going to tie that Christmas tree down, great timing and sure enough they were in the glove box still.

what tool did you use to remove the screws so you can install the thumbwheels?
Thanks

I haven't had to use the thumbwheels yet, so I don't know what tool is necessary to remove the screws from the roof racks to enable installation of the thumbwheels. Guess I should take a look so I can be prepared when something needs to be tied down.

from page 235 of the manual:
Note: There may be snap caps in the side
rail, which must be removed before
installing the thumbwheels. These caps can
be removed by using a T25 torx tool or a
similar tool.

similar tool.

Thanks for the info, fwrogg! Fortunately, I have a T25 torx tool in my toolbox. Wonder what a "similar tool" would look like.

similar tool.
No snap caps on my 2016 but there are 6 torx bolts on each rail that look spaced apart so that you can add up to 3 rails. So which ones do you remove to install the thumb wheels? Any of them?

On my 2017 those caps just popped off with a screwdriver.

Back