Roof Rail Separating | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

Ford doesn't care. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is how the plastic roof rail covers are molded. They aren't molded tightly enough to latch on. The problem is with the rear portion. Long story short, I used a heat gun and made the rear part tighter. It also doesn't hurt to try and heat the center part a bit and make it wrap the roof line tighter. Ford's solutions are: ignore, replace, use screws, and/or use glue. Neither of which are genuine solutions.

I took my 2018 rail covers apart in 2018 because the rear kept popping up and found it wasn't clipped tight enough.

Bottom line: If when you push the rear part down and don't hear an extremely loud and audible CLACK, it's not latching onto the inboard facing clips. It's a stupid flawed design just like their A-pillar trim covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn't much anyone can do if the required items are not currently available. Did they order new rails for you? If they did, you could always ask them if you could apply a 'fix' of your own in the meantime and have it documented.
My dealer has always made a deal to get mine off lease early and they then put them on the lot for sale. I doubt that Ford Credit was ever involved or inspected the vehicles.

Peter

Ford have announced that there is a recall on 661,000 Explorers from 2016-2019. It's about time!

The reason a safety recall has been issued is because parts coming off the rail may cause a road hazard creating a crash.

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists.
Certain 2016 - 2019 model year Explorer vehicles equipped with painted roof rails will be removed from the 20N11 customer satisfaction program when 21S22 is published.
• Vehicles equipped with satin or chrome plated roof racks will remain open in 20N11.
• Vehicles previously repaired under 20N11 will not be moved to 21S22.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
On some of the affected vehicles, a detached roof rail cover can create a road hazard for other road users, increasing the risk of crash.
SERVICE ACTION

Does anyone have the document or instructions for 21S22 to show what exactly they will do?

I haven't received a letter either, they were supposed to have been sent in June.
I got my letter. I want to see the repair instructions the tech will follow. This talk of pushpins, I assume they intend to drill holes in the rail not previously there. Not fond of that idea if that is the intention.

If I keep this lease, gonna delete the rails all together.

I got my letter. I want to see the repair instructions the tech will follow. This talk of pushpins, I assume they intend to drill holes in the rail not previously there. Not fond of that idea if that is the intention.

My right rail popped up within a month of me getting my new 2018 XLT in January of 2018. Eventually I just heated that rear part of the rail cover so it'd lock into the inboard facing tab better (basically heat that rear part and squeeze with a gloved hand so as it cools it retains a tighter shape). It hasn't popped up since and I've had to remove it once or twice to work on a rattling noise (wasn't the rail cover) and has stayed put each time. My left rail cover has never popped up until recently (this is after like 3 years of having the Explorer) and I popped it back in place without drama.

I suspect the recall will ask the service person to drill a hole through the inboard part of the rear portion of the rail covers so that it goes through into the rail frame and then to use either a black or silver/gray Christmas tree retainer - that's my best guess so the gray/silver blends into the silver/chrome rail covers.

I even drove through an automatic car wash with the jet engine drying sequence. I crossed both fingers hoping nothing would fly off (a-pillar covers etc) and everything was fine except my right wing mirror got folded the wrong way during the wash but then a brush/arm hit it again and made it go into the correct location. Very harrowing experience.

My right rail popped up within a month of me getting my new 2018 XLT in January of 2018. Eventually I just heated that rear part of the rail cover so it'd lock into the inboard facing tab better (basically heat that rear part and squeeze with a gloved hand so as it cools it retains a tighter shape). It hasn't popped up since and I've had to remove it once or twice to work on a rattling noise (wasn't the rail cover) and has stayed put each time. My left rail cover has never popped up until recently (this is after like 3 years of having the Explorer) and I popped it back in place without drama.

I suspect the recall will ask the service person to drill a hole through the inboard part of the rear portion of the rail covers so that it goes through into the rail frame and then to use either a black or silver/gray Christmas tree retainer - that's my best guess so the gray/silver blends into the silver/chrome rail covers.

I even drove through an automatic car wash with the jet engine drying sequence. I crossed both fingers hoping nothing would fly off (a-pillar covers etc) and everything was fine except my right wing mirror got folded the wrong way during the wash but then a brush/arm hit it again and made it go into the correct location. Very harrowing experience.
That car wash is the only time mine comes off, the drying part. If it doesn't sound like I drove through a riot I know its good to go before I leave.

Unless they just replace the current 'retention pins' with push pins, I believe the only way to "install push-pins" is to drill a place for them to be mounted in.

Peter

I just looked up 21S22. There is no published repair yet as parts are not available. So the dealers don't even know what the specific repair is at this time.

I just received my letter, I still say my fix was better than what they are proposing.

Same here, just received my June letter telling me I'll be notified when parts are available. Haha. Typical Ford.
GM is the same. Your axle is in recall but don't show up here yet. I went thru 2 of those and shattered the CV on the 3rd one that was the fix.

GM is the same. Your axle is in recall but don't show up here yet. I went thru 2 of those and shattered the CV on the 3rd one that was the fix.

GM kept trying to get me to take back my 09 Cobalt SS Turbo for 2 recalls: the power steering motor and the ignition key switch. I noticed they dropped the power steering recall, there must be a deadline to get this done otherwise the campaign disappears. I still haven't taken it back for the ignition key and they keep mailing me cards. They even offered me a $100 gift card at one point. GM also tried to borrow my Cobalt for emissions testing at Milford Proving Grounds. I can just picture a bunch of interns tearing it up on the high speed course, so hard pass.

Recalls don't expire but are usually only enforced for 'reasonable periods'.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The power steering motor recall disappeared for my VIN but not the ignition switch.

Back