HIDs vs LEDs 5th generation explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HIDs vs LEDs 5th generation explorer

Detroit_vs_You

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Called a local shop the other day for a quick quote on HID install for headlights and fogs. They told me that they stopped doing HID installs on these because of the problems that they kept running into as far as not being reliable. They were trying to talk me into doing LEDs instead. Seams LEDs are the now/future but I still like the HIDs and think they project better on the road from the YouTube comparisons I've seen.

My question is what complete kit for the headlights and fiogs are you guys running on the 13-14's HID wise with good results?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HID problems are solely due to poor installation. If you electrical tape WELL every connection that can get water in it, and wire them properly they can and do last a decade. Almost no one does this, however.

I might also add I am very happy with my LED headlamps and fog lamps on my '16 sport. I've had HIDs on the last 20 cars I've owned for over a decade in both headlights and fogs so it says a lot that I feel this way.

However, I do think the reason they're amazing is the new housing and how it's built to accommodate LEDs (LED bulb comes in from the side unlike the high beam bulb shown to the right. This is my passenger headlight)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 613

Here's another terrible view of the LED "reflector" or whatever it is.

The bottom is the far left, the uploader flipped my photo. The top is the right side of the passenger side headlight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 571

Since the question is about kits, I used Diode Dynamics' HID kit on my '15 which is the same kit for the '13 and '14 models I believe. All plug 'n play, easy install even with the mod to the dust boot. The only thing you need to make sure of is seating the bulbs properly. This has been a bone of contention for some doing this conversion along with making sure the plug from the bulb is connected correctly into it's counterpart connector as it can be connected in either direction. With that, just make sure you switch the direction of the connector when you find the light doesn't work when you test it. :D It'll save you some grief.

This kit works well and is much better than the OEM lights. :salute:

Since the question is about kits, I used Diode Dynamics' HID kit on my '15 which is the same kit for the '13 and '14 models I believe. All plug 'n play, easy install even with the mod to the dust boot. The only thing you need to make sure of is seating the bulbs properly. This has been a bone of contention for some doing this conversion along with making sure the plug from the bulb is connected correctly into it's counterpart connector as it can be connected in either direction. With that, just make sure you switch the direction of the connector when you find the light doesn't work when you test it. :D It'll save you some grief.

This kit works well and is much better than the OEM lights. :salute:

Over the years and installing for customers back when I did that, removing the thick o ring on the hid bulbs and replacing with the factory ford O'ring will also help because sometimes it won't fit in.

Thanks for the responses. On my other truck (Chevy) I had to kill the DRL's so the HIDs would work properly. Is that the same case for the explorers too?

I picked up a $70 kit (Normally $99 IIRC) on Amazon that was rated at 4000 lumens, with rave reviews to try in my foglights, since I was reading up on the new LED headlight bulbs and how much better they can be. I liked the ballast being built into the base of the bulb, and literally a plug & play setup.

Stay away from them. The listing said guaranteed double or triple your output vs halogen, farther beam, etc. Not. They are not bright enough to actually use as a light source. Fine if you just wanted to match your fogs with your HID headlights or something. I picked them up in mid-November, they are already burning out.

Thanks for the responses. On my other truck (Chevy) I had to kill the DRL's so the HIDs would work properly. Is that the same case for the explorers too?

My fords all have auto lamp features that can be turned off by turning the knob - true DRL as in Canadian models I am not sure, but if they run at less power than the headlights, chances are yes you will need to kill the DRL.

My fords all have auto lamp features that can be turned off by turning the knob - true DRL as in Canadian models I am not sure, but if they run at less power than the headlights, chances are yes you will need to kill the DRL.
Not sure about the 2016 model but I am not aware that DRLs can be turned off on vehicles here since it is the law to run with them.

Peter

Not sure about the 2016 model but I am not aware that DRLs can be turned off on vehicles here since it is the law to run with them.

Peter

Yes in Canada I do not know that they can be turned off, that's what I said (or meant anyway lol)

I've never dealt with a true aftermarket led kit but I've used many a true hid kits including a few retro fits with oem projectors/ballast. I have the oem led low beams and they are nice but don't even come close to a true hid as far us sharpness and output the temperature (color) is about it. I purchased the led fog lights mentioned above on Amazon and I reviewed them on Amazon they are great cosmetically as the color is the same as the LEDs but offer zero light output, I can't tell difference driving between them being on or off.

I've never dealt with a true aftermarket led kit but I've used many a true hid kits including a few retro fits with oem projectors/ballast. I have the oem led low beams and they are nice but don't even come close to a true hid as far us sharpness and output the temperature (color) is about it. I purchased the led fog lights mentioned above on Amazon and I reviewed them on Amazon they are great cosmetically as the color is the same as the LEDs but offer zero light output, I can't tell difference driving between them being on or off.

I'm surprised to read this. I literally have 6 working hid kits in my 4 ford fleet right now and have had another two dozen over the past ten years and I am very happy with how the LED (factory) look and perform on my X sport. I'm the epitome of spoiled with HIDs I even put them on my old beater 1992-1994 rangers, f150s, and f250s of which I've owned a dozen almost because I couldn't drive without them. This makes me wonder if the explorers with halogen fog lights have different housings for the headlights also which makes the led output less?

Mine has both factory and I can see fantastic. Just like my 13 fusion with projectors and 6k HIDs in both heads and fogs

Interesting. I've put them side by side with a 2011 Explorer with HIDs. IMO they work much better but that's only one opinion.. There is a reason most the lighting industry is going to LEDs including car manufactures.

Interesting. I've put them side by side with a 2011 Explorer with HIDs. IMO they work much better but that's only one opinion.. There is a reason most the lighting industry is going to LEDs including car manufactures.
Laser will likely replace LED in a few years. Some cars apparently have it now and they can be bought as an aftermarket item as well.

Peter

Laser will likely replace LED in a few years. Some cars apparently have it now and they can be bought as an aftermarket item as well.

Peter

I would be very surprised if it was in the next "few" years in my opinion.

Domestic manufactures couldn't even keep up with the garage door companies giving them a few year notice to change.

What kit did you buy from Amazon?

I picked up a $70 kit (Normally $99 IIRC) on Amazon that was rated at 4000 lumens, with rave reviews to try in my foglights, since I was reading up on the new LED headlight bulbs and how much better they can be. I liked the ballast being built into the base of the bulb, and literally a plug & play setup.

Stay away from them. The listing said guaranteed double or triple your output vs halogen, farther beam, etc. Not. They are not bright enough to actually use as a light source. Fine if you just wanted to match your fogs with your HID headlights or something. I picked them up in mid-November, they are already burning out.

Domestic manufactures couldn't even keep up with the garage door companies giving them a few year notice to change.

You talking about the built in universal door openers?

Check these out:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...xb-led-fog-lights-ford-cars.html#.VotWQDYmTdk

I've yet to see them in person but reviews on other makes are all great (look around the site, a lot of Honda/Subaru and other brands have reviews on these) and RETROFIT SOURCE is a very reputable company in the world of lights/retrofits with second to none customer service and lifetime warranty on most if not all of their products including HID kits.

This LED kit is defiantly more expensive that just buying led bulbs on Ebay/amazon but they are full fog housings with LEDs in a "projector" with actual cut off line just like oem xenons. Or at least seems that way to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm surprised to read this. I literally have 6 working hid kits in my 4 ford fleet right now and have had another two dozen over the past ten years and I am very happy with how the LED (factory) look and perform on my X sport. I'm the epitome of spoiled with HIDs I even put them on my old beater 1992-1994 rangers, f150s, and f250s of which I've owned a dozen almost because I couldn't drive without them. This makes me wonder if the explorers with halogen fog lights have different housings for the headlights also which makes the led output less?

Mine has both factory and I can see fantastic. Just like my 13 fusion with projectors and 6k HIDs in both heads and fogs

Thing is not hids are equal. If what your using is just a quality hid kit in a halogen projector it's going to be bright but not quality lighting. My previous cars were a 07 Camry I started with the crappy hid kit in the halogen projector and then I upgraded to a full hid retro using Toyota Solara true hid projectors and denso ballast/bulbs. Difference was night and day but the Solara hids are considered crappy oem hids. My next car was a Highlander that I had Lexus RX350 projectors put in which are arguably among the top two hid projectors available with hella ballast and bulbs this was a huge upgrade. My last car was a Acura TL and this car had the best hids I've ever experienced the cutoff lines were crisp the output was crazy wide but they were aimed perfect as to not blind anyone. So you can say I'm a lighting snob as I've wasted thousands on retrofits over the years. I've never liked hids in the fogs because years and years back as a kid I melted some fogs pretty bad as there not made to handle that kind of heat, but mostly they just blind everyone as there typically halogen enclosures not even halogen projectors. I normally leave them off with hids because i love seeing the crisp cutoff line with the different colors but There non existent with led bulbs.

Back