• Register Today It's free!

Dand 35 and Lockrite Removal Help

buford1972

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Looking to get a little advice with my current project. At my last U-Pull trip I found a D35 in a 96 Ranger that had 4.56 gears and a Lock Rite installed. I removed the front diff and brought it home. Here is the issue.... The Ranger had an older lift on it that had contacted the aluminum pumpkin and punched a hole in it. The previous owner repaired it with what looks like a combo of JB Weld and RTV. I will be swapping the gears and locker into the current D35 in my Explorer. Whoever did the gears staked the roll pin hole and I cant figure out how to remove the pin, which will allow me to remove the cross shaft, which will allow me to remove the locker, which will allow me to remove the E-clip, which will allow me to remove the stub shaft, which will allow me toe remove the carrier. Yes, I can see that the E-clip is still installed by looking through the driver side axle hole but the locker does not have a grove to pop the clip out like on an 8.8 lunchbox locker. As many of you know, there is not a straight shot to get a punch on either side of the roll pin with out removing the carrier. I feel dumb for asking how to get this thing apart but I am at the point where I am about to cut a notch in the bad case to gain access to the pin or notch the carrier where it was staked. I was already going to buy a new roll pin and cross shaft and can swap out the carriers if necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you

If the axle is a Central Axle Disconnect version, You should be able to just pull the whole carrier out, after pushing the center shaft out of it. I don't recall a C-clip in the front CAD diff. Once the carrier is out, you can take care of the roll pin.

Being that this is a Ranger axle, I'm not sure about the CAD, as they are in the 95-96 Explorer. Ranger's might be different, and not have the CAD. Another thing to be aware of is that some Rangers have smaller shafts with a different spline count then the Explorers. 2nd gen carriers & gears, do not work in 1st gen D35's either.

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified. The 95-97 Ranger uses the same TTB suspension and D35 as the 1st Gen 91-94 Explorer but different steering knuckles to accommodate the 2 piston brake calipers that are used the 2nd gen Explorer/Ranger platform.

Back