Gears - Dana 35

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
I have taken apart the front diff that I got... tag says gears are 3.73 - well, IMO by just looking at it I can say that gears were replaced at some point and upgraded to 4.10...

can anyone tell me how many teeth there are on the 3.73 carrier and how many on the pinion shaft? and the same for 4.10?

If I've got 4.10 then all I need to do is replace bearings and install my locker...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you need to do is count the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the number on the pinion -- that's the only 100% definite way.

http://www.drivetrain.com/dana35.html

All you need to do is count the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the number on the pinion -- that's the only 100% definite way.

http://www.drivetrain.com/dana35.html

been working on my trucks for so long but never really got my hands dirty replacing gears or installing lockers... and that's why all the confusion.
:rolleyes:
Well, 3.73 is what I've got. Upgrading to 4.10... installing locker and all new bearings. I've got a Detroit E-Z but forgot to order new pinion shaft. oh well...

Just starting to put things together... I know the first time is gonna be hard... the next I'll be a pro.
;)

Pardon me for asking but you are using the right measuring tools to setup the gears right? Cauz gears have tolerances in thousandths of an inch -- they're not just easy bolt-ons and it typically takes quite a bit of time in order to get the gear set up correctly.

DSCN0014.jpg

well, that's what I have to do first. The whole thing has been taken apart, cleaned and now I'm slowly getting a hang of it. For starters, I've switched ring gears and pulled old bearings off. Getting a bit chilly so the rest will have to wait till tomorrow. I know that it's gonna be a long process... just making sure I've got all the right parts. Though for a moment that I've ordered a wrong locker...

anyway - getting more done tomorrow - before the big freeze!

Installation kit for Dana 35 TTB

anyone with the part number handy? I need to see if I've got the right one.

Master install kit part #s will differ from company to company.

One thing I am curious to see if there is a difference between High Pinion/Reverse Cut install kits and Low Pinion/Normal Cut install kits -- especially on a TTB with its irregular housing.

I have Genuine Gear part # 35-2065 SOB - I got me front D35 rebuilt kit for second generation... just checked!

That looks like the right number G35-2065:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT24268.aspx

I went through 4WP's store where you can shop by make/model/year and thats what comes up for a 1st gen Explorer.

Where did you see that thats for a 2nd gen?

I know... just checked with summit - I need another set - 25-2065

I'll be damned - I need to order new pinion shaft anyway... just have to find out about my u-joints in the double cardan joint and I'm set. Might as well order everything at once.

I'll keep this set for my 98 in case I want to upgrade it...

Back