Wiring UHF radio to regular 2016 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring UHF radio to regular 2016 Explorer

I would highly recommend going through the firewall with the proper grommet or through an existing one and connect to the power source next to the fuse panel if there is one on that model. No question about the current available and you will not have any issues when transmitting due to low voltage possibilities. You should be able to find a good ground or make one close by the same area. I was a Motorola trained technician for 40 yrs. I like to avoid issues if possible. Will it work as you want, probably, would I do it? No.
Going through the firewall in this gen Explorer is quite a challenge as many have found out. Also, there are two fuse panels. One in the cabin and one under the hood.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going through the firewall in this gen Explorer is quite a challenge as many have found out. Also, there are two fuse panels. One in the cabin and one under the hood.

Peter

Never use the inside fuse panel except for a control voltage for a relay. Way too many issues can come up,.

Getting through the firewall can be a challenge. You may find that going through the right side is necessary. Extreme caution of course. Sometimes you have to jack the vehicle up to find a safe path.

As for the timer mentioned earlier, we installed thousands of them over the years and they were the solution to dead batteries. They give you time to get out and back in without having to turn the key. You would not want to fish for keys in a stressful situation. Having that mic ready to go could be a life saver.

They lied... The PPV is available with the retail console, minus the floor shifter.

Another thing that will suck on the retail model in police service is the speed limiter. In theory it can be modified by the dealer, but considering its not pursuit rated I doubt they would agree to disable it.

Speed limiter is set at 125mph?

Pretty sure its more like 105 or 110 on the retail.

According to car and driver's review the retail version has a 123mph electronic governor. The 2016 Ford Police Interceptor Utility will go ~165mph. I'm defiantly not comfortable taking any 4wd SUV near any of those speeds

I have had mine cut out several times, pretty sure I was well below 123MPH. I do have a naturally aspirated V6 model. Given yours is AWD, I assume you have the ecoboost engine? If so they may have a higher governed speed.

Very good find!

We told the dealer we want a police model with regular console. They told us the regular explorer is the only way to get the console. Im just going to put in a relay and rob off the main power wire Ive got ran for my siren and jump off some off the back of the fuse panel to trigger the coil (86).

Sorry to hear your dealer is mis-informed about the interceptor consul and the task you have before you making your project work.
Here is a picture of my undercover interceptor with a interior upgrade package and factory installed consul. mine has no badging on the exterior, it does'nt even say Explorer or Interceptor.
020_zpsfz4dllns.jpg

and my Kenwood D710 Radio installed.
ord%20Interceptor%20%203-26-2016%20078_zps57bg5wdd.jpg

If I can be of any help answering questions about the undercover model Interceptor just let me know!.

I don't want to have the radio on, flashlight charging, or the smart siren light control to have power on it without the key on. If I run a lead to the battery everything would stay on and I would have battery drain. Fuse 46 goes to the trailer tow brake controller and is disigned to handle 30amps, just wondering if that's a attached to acc/on. I'm also not wanting to wire a single pole if I don't have to.
Explored the Explorer this morning, looking for ways to get power to my dual band. Removed the plastic dash panel under the steering column, and the steel panel underneath it. Found this:

trailer-brake-connector-1.jpg

Trailer brake connector.

If my base Explorer (no towing package) has it, I'll bet they ALL do.

trailer-brake-connector-2.jpg

trailer-brake-connector-3.jpg

The yellow/orange wire is hot battery power (I assume from fuse #46 )
The purple wire is the brake-ON signal.
The black/white wire is ground.
I guess the blue wire goes sends power to the trailer brakes from the controller as there is no power, key on or off.

I'll go ahead and use it until I can find a way to get through the firewall.

Back