4.10s with 265/75 R16's and 5.0? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.10s with 265/75 R16's and 5.0?

I got gas today after driving 100 miles on the new gears. Not exact, but I got ~16 mpg all city driving!

I finally drove some highway miles, and I love how the gears bring the power back, it pulls up hills better accelerates easier and will hit 75 in a hurry when passing. My wife noticed how much better it drives, and said the swap was worth the money. I can't wait to see how the camper pulls with em.

It runs 1900 at 60 MPH in OD, 2800 in 3rd.

70 MPH is 2400 RPM in OD

Awesome! How bad was rebuilding the rear axle? You re-geared yourself right? I'll be getting my dad's Mounty in the next month or 2 - gotta find time to head back east.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! How bad was rebuilding the rear axle? You re-geared yourself right? I'll be getting my dad's Mounty in the next month or 2 - gotta find time to head back east.

It wasn't too bad to do it- I got a shop to set up the ring and pinion, it was going to cost me $45 to have the bearings pressed anyway, and for an extra $45 I got them to set up the ring and pinion. I pulled the whole axle, cleaned and painted it while I was at it. Outer bearings were the biggest trouble, you have to have a slide hammer with jaws to pull the bearings. With a slide hammer, It shouldn't be any problem.

Is anybody currently running this configuration? (5.0/BW4406/4.10LS) I don't do much offroading anymore, but would like a slightly taller tire size than my LT245/75R16 tires I am currently running for the few times when I do go out. I currently have the stock 3.73 gear ratio and no lift, just 1" Hellwig Chromoly Rear Sway Bar and Bilstein shocks along with a BW4406 T/C. Far as I know this profile of tire has little to no contact issues at stock ride height, not that I am opposed to a slight lift but prefer to stay at the stock height to maintain a low center of gravity. I mostly want to know if the 3.73 gears aren't too bad, or that 4.10's are definitely the way to go. I expect the latter, as the taller tire will lead to sluggishness and poor town mpg. Thanks guys, happy holidays!

A friend of mine that worked a T&T Customs would use two repack kits for the 8.8. Made for a locked/LS.

Tim

Back