Add Button Panel & Repurpose Power Liftgate/Tow/Parking Assist Buttons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add Button Panel & Repurpose Power Liftgate/Tow/Parking Assist Buttons

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I have a 2013 XLT without the Button Panel on the left side under the light control. It can be fitted with a three pushbutton panel for the Liftgate, Tow, and Parking Assist functions. This is a factory option so it is all built in.

I would like to add the panel to my XLT and repurpose the buttons for Auxiliary Lighting, etc.

Can anyone tell me if this has been done before? A search was not successful. Also, which of the factory buttons are temporary (push and release) or locked (push to activate, push again to turn off)?

If I can get this going, I'll post a photo tutorial if it hasn't already been done. I think this would look so much nicer than putting switches/buttons elsewhere on the dash.

THANKS for any information.

ExpTowButtons.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the panel, Ford Part # BB5Z7804338DB ( suffix letters apparently determine color and/or trim).

The buttons SEEM to be separate numbers based on function, so knowing which is a temp switch vs. push on-push off would be helpful. I can paint over the original markings and create labels for them.

Also, I am having difficulty pinning down the part number for the harness that plugs into the back of the three button switch assembly for all three functions. Thanks.

BB5Z7804338DB_ExpPanel.jpg

I'm guessing that the picture above is upside down? Are you talking about repurposing just the lower 3 buttons or all of them including the lighting control buttons.
The Liftgate button is a 'Push' to open and another 'Push' to close. It doesn't stay engaged. The 'Tow' button is the same way and returns to the 'Default' position when the vehicle is turned off/on. I can't recall and couldn't find it in the Manual what the 'Default' setting is if there is one in the 2017. No one has attempted this transformation that I am aware of.

Peter

The lift/tow buttons are momentary switches that the actions are then taken by the computer Tailgate (open/close tailgate) Tow/Haul (engage/disengage tow/haul mode)

I am interested in same but only want to repurpose the Parking assist button to power my electronic air/emergency horn..

I am interested in same but only want to repurpose the Parking assist button to power my electronic air/emergency horn..

I am a retired lieutenant but my department allows retirees to work per diem. My buttons will activate emergency lighting and the siren/PA/Air Horn, plus aux fog lights (I live on the coast).

When I get the harness and button assembly I'll be marking the wire sets per button, determining the NO/NC settings, etc. and then having the shop that installs the department lights and sirens set mine up. I'm also looking into button covers with discreet pictograms for Fogs, Strobes, and Siren. Since this is my POV I want it to look like a run of the mill Exp.

My intent is to photograph and document this project.

The back of the three button switch has a recess for some sort of wiring plug. I am attempting to repurpose this (my car was not equipped with it) switch assembly for auxiliary lights, etc.

I've ordered the switch assembly and the body panel but can't identify the plug. Hopefully it is not part of a larger wiring harness but simply a jumper that connects the switch to the full harness.

Any information appreciated. If this concept works, I'll post a photo tutorial. Thanks for any info.
ExpTowButtons.jpg
ExpSwitchBack.jpg

I've been wanting to do the same thing to power some aux lights using the "auto Park" button. Let me know how you make out. Also do you have a part number for the 3 button panel? Can't find it anywhere, Thanks!

I've been wanting to do the same thing to power some aux lights using the "auto Park" button. Let me know how you make out. Also do you have a part number for the 3 button panel? Can't find it anywhere, Thanks!

Do you mean the 3 button assembly or the dash panel it fits into?

The three button assembly. I have it now but only with the tailgate and the tow buttons and then a blank cover where the park assist would be. I'm assuming I'll have to buy a whole new assembly with all three buttons? Or can I just get a button to replace the cover on the one I already have? THX.

The three button assembly. I have it now but only with the tailgate and the tow buttons and then a blank cover where the park assist would be. I'm assuming I'll have to buy a whole new assembly with all three buttons? Or can I just get a button to replace the cover on the one I already have? THX.

I wish I knew. I just bought a button assembly with all three buttons (gate, tow, park assist). One type button is push on / push off and the other is momentary. The whole 3 button panel was only about $19.00 on eBay (from a Ford dealer).

I have a question, is the blank panel something I could drill a hole into and maybe place an aftermarket illuminated mini button? I'm trying to figure a way to set up an "ON" light so I know my add-on fog lights are on.

I wish I knew. I just bought a button assembly with all three buttons (gate, tow, park assist). One type button is push on / push off and the other is momentary. The whole 3 button panel was only about $19.00 on eBay (from a Ford dealer).

I have a question, is the blank panel something I could drill a hole into and maybe place an aftermarket illuminated mini button? I'm trying to figure a way to set up an "ON" light so I know my add-on fog lights are on.
OK thanks. I guess I'll search for it on eBay. Having no luck with the standard auto parts websites. All of the diagrams are unreadable.

Yes I think you could drill it out and put a switch in it. Looks the same as the others it just doesn't depress or perform any function. Looks like Just a dummy cover.

IMG_8978.JPG

Yes you can do it, I did it, also another option is to use the middle blank section of the map lights console see my second pic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vWuBvxLMkAcElfYlJjX1Q3cms/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vWuBvxLMkAZXJ1dVRUZS1xSkU/view?usp=s

THANKS! Did you pull the back part of the button panel off or did you find the part of the wiring harness that plugs into the back? Cool setup. If you have any in progress photos that would be helpful, but the ones you posted are really great.

THANKS! Did you pull the back part of the button panel off or did you find the part of the wiring harness that plugs into the back? Cool setup. If you have any in progress photos that would be helpful, but the ones you posted are really great.

I didn't take pics sorry, to do the button panel you just snap off the face of the panel I used a small flat screw driver, using the factory harness will be difficult because there is a circuit board inside that panel and it just sends a pulse to the bcm.

Yes you can do it, I did it, also another option is to use the middle blank section of the map lights console see my second pic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vWuBvxLMkAcElfYlJjX1Q3cms/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vWuBvxLMkAZXJ1dVRUZS1xSkU/view?usp=s

What kind of rear-mirror do you have? Is it an after-market mirror? It looks like it has some kind of emergency/SOS button. I love my Explorer, but have always wished Ford had some kind of telecommunication system as advanced as OnStar.

What kind of rear-mirror do you have? Is it an after-market mirror? It looks like it has some kind of emergency/SOS button. I love my Explorer, but have always wished Ford had some kind of telecommunication system as advanced as OnStar.

It's an aftermarket -caska x mirror- I bought it mainly for the back up camera and the dvr, I was very surprise and happy with the screen image quality for the price I paid 130.

A quick note to anyone led here by a search: the LED under my Park Assist button has gone out, which sent me looking for answers. The three-button assembly (liftgate, tow, parking) is part BB5Z-13D730-AA, about $15 to 17 shipped.

A quick note to anyone led here by a search: the LED under my Park Assist button has gone out, which sent me looking for answers. The three-button assembly (liftgate, tow, parking) is part BB5Z-13D730-AA, about $15 to 17 shipped.

Has anyone figured out how to tap into the connectors on the 3 button assembly to repurpose the switches? Is there a plug that attaches that can be used to connect the switches to other devices?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone figured out how to tap into the connectors on the 3 button assembly to repurpose the switches? Is there a plug that attaches that can be used to connect the switches to other devices?

I fixed power liftgate button.. i made the hole in the panel and fit the dash button, and gave connection to tailgate ... and its working perfectly.. also I installed foot sensor, now the liftgate is opening via foot sensor as well (just like in explorer 2016+), just one thing is remaining for me; liftgate is not opening from remote. I enabled the liftgate feature via forscan as well, but after enabling it from forscan liftgate doesnt work. Any clue or suggestion you can provide to make it work via remote? I have 5 button orignal keyfob.. remote start is already there and its working from remote...

Back