Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Add me to the list of MFT to SYNC 3 upgrades, just finished doing it in my 2011 limited.

Thanks for all the information from others regarding the upgrade it really made the process quick and painless, I'm very happy to have done it!

My Parts Breakdown:

1) Screen and APIM (w/ NAV) from LKQ via car-parts.com $208 shipped. The unit came out of a 2016 Ford Edge, which is the recessed version of the screen. A couple little Torx screws and the old brackets mounted it perfectly.

2) Wiring Harness - Spent a few $ more here and went with the ready-made plug and play connector from 4D tech $49.99.

3) CarPlay USB Hub from an auto parts supplier via eBay $42.25 shipped. (HC3Z-19A387-B)

4) USB hub bezel (GC3Z-19C149-A) from Tasca Parts $18.54 shipped.

5) GPS Antenna from Amazon $12.99

6) ODB Link from Amazon $29.97

7) APIM Programming information from Dan at Sync 3 APIM Programming Spent a little bit of time messing around with Programing myself but this was the quick and painless finish to the upgrade.

When programming, also changed the headlights so that foglights now stay on with high beams, was hoping to enable auto fold mirrors but best I can tell, even though my ex has power mirrors, that programming change isn't possible in the explorers, only F150 trucks :(

All in costs of $432 and now have a SYNC 3 version 3.0 with Nav flawlessly running in my 2011 Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work! I got my 2012 Explorer Limited fully functional with a 2017 XLT Explorer Sync 3 system with NAV. The missing piece for me was on line 7D0-01-01 XXXX XXXX X*zz I found several options missing from the spreadsheets.

XXXX XXXX X8zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen but disables both HSW and Heated & Cooled Seats on screen.

XXXX XXXX X9zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XAzz (same as above I think) dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XBzz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated & cooled seats enabled on screen.

Project complete! I also had four APIM DTC errors before I figured out the steering wheel control needed to be set to 7D0-01-01 XXX1 XXXX XXzz.

I hope this helps someone. Cheers!

New issue. I upgraded a 2016 explorer sport (sync2) to sync3nav (from a 17 edge plat).

I have not audio with nav or txt message. I do have the sync touch beep. I do not have prompts muted in nav. I can see the button to "hear it" when I receive a txt but when I press I get nothing. During navigation, when I would expect a voice prompt, I get a decrease in audio volume but not the female nav voice guidance (tested using sync nav, not android auto).

I have made several forscan edits but most involve adding climate to screen, adding heated steering wheel, disable beep beep, double press panic and gt theme.

I have searched for a few hour without much luck. I did stumble upon this: Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (Factory Radio) For Amplifier Upgrades
I do have the sony audio (the platnuim in 16 came with sony premium audio). Forscan shows my ACM is set to sony dsp.

Ill offer a bounty payable via PP so my wife thinks I'm smarter than I am!

Edit: fixed. The other week...we lost Sirius amoing audio options. Apim 7D0 01 01 first character was "edited" to a 2. Not sure the origional but saved a backup. Got Sirius back but now I realize I lost the Sony dsp. I set the back to an A and not back in business. This is what happens when it's your wife's car and she gives bug reports a week later.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions of this thread, I bought myself a Sync3 screen with the APIM attached from a Ford Edge 2016, I have a Ford Explorer 2012 with MFT. And I was able to swap it without any big issue. But now I only have a couple of things that are not working properly.

1. The clock on the screen shows the right time when i start the car, but it doesn't keep adding minutes after that, it just freezes, GPS, radio and all the other options works without any problem.
2. The clock on the screen above the wheel is showing - - : - - like it never gets the time from the Sync3 screen i guess?
3. The buttons on the wheel "Seek", "Hang Up" and the other one to give voice commands are not working. Just the volume button works..

Do you guys think that I should do a master reset on the unit? Because i did not do it. And is still showing the information from the previous owner.
Should I change some other features using Forscan?

At this point I have no clue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

The ABD on the new APIM has to be programmed relative to an Explorer, not the former Edge. Use FORScan to save the ABD at present, then attempt to load the ABD for the APIM of a similarly equipped Explorer. You'll have to do some digging for a proper VIN.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions of this thread, I bought myself a Sync3 screen with the APIM attached from a Ford Edge 2016, I have a Ford Explorer 2012 with MFT. And I was able to swap it without any big issue. But now I only have a couple of things that are not working properly.

1. The clock on the screen shows the right time when i start the car, but it doesn't keep adding minutes after that, it just freezes, GPS, radio and all the other options works without any problem.
2. The clock on the screen above the wheel is showing - - : - - like it never gets the time from the Sync3 screen i guess?
3. The buttons on the wheel "Seek", "Hang Up" and the other one to give voice commands are not working. Just the volume button works..

Do you guys think that I should do a master reset on the unit? Because i did not do it. And is still showing the information from the previous owner.
Should I change some other features using Forscan?

At this point I have no clue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I’m not sure if this is the cause, but if you have a Non-Navigation system I’ve found that you still need the GPS antenna installed as GPS is still used as a time source. Also make sure that you have correctly copied the as-built data from a similarly configured 2017 VIN.

I’m not sure if this is the cause, but if you have a Non-Navigation system I’ve found that you still need the GPS antenna installed as GPS is still used as a time source. Also make sure that you have correctly copied the as-built data from a similarly configured 2017 VIN.

Well my car originally had Nav and the new unit I got also has Nav. I did not copy the 2017 config on the Forscan, I only went into it and changed the values that I needed. So in that way I was able to re enable the Heated/Cooled Seats, Rear A/C, Sony Sound System.
Do I need to completely override the values that I have on my system with the ones from the shared spreadsheet?

Bump: I did use this upgrade for my 2015 Expedition and the SYNC3 does work. I had it shipped flashed to my VIN and tool about an hour to install. All required adapter cables were included and I maintained factory NAV, Travel Link. Follow the instructions and it works. You will have to drive around for about 20 minutes after install to get the GPS and Sirius to get a fresh signal.

Even with the glitch of the random tuning to AM during start up the SYNC3 is light years above in technology. The Travel Link weather radar overlay is probably my favorite though. If you haven't tried it do so, Travel Link....weather....current/5day/map. With map you can get overlay of precipitation, even Fronts, severe weather movement, etc...

Hello, how hard is it to find brackets to install a standard mount screen in my 15 explorer? I am finding some good deals on Sync 3 systems but most of them are either from Escape or Focus which has standard mount :banghead:

I am not sure I used the brackets that came with the KIT or transferred the brackets from the SYNC2 APIM/SCREEN. I personally wouldn't chance it but that's me.

Hello, how hard is it to find brackets to install a standard mount screen in my 15 explorer? I am finding some good deals on Sync 3 systems but most of them are either from Escape or Focus which has standard mount :banghead:

You won't find any unless they are custom made aftermarket. Ford does not make mounts for it.

I have my Sync 2 brackets and looks like I will also be getting brackets with the Sync 3 standard mount system (attached pics). Can you let me know if I can use any one of them interchangeably to fit my explorer and this system or I will still have issues and need modifications. I just can't understand the difference even after looking at various pics, so thought of posting it here to get expert advise.
Imgur

You could just buy any of SYNC 3 modules and prefit it once you get it. None of their brackets will fit into your Explorer unless the system comes from Explorer. You could make a custom fit with a drill, not a big deal...

Evening everyone. New to the forum and looking to upgrade my ‘15 Explorer Sport to Sync 3. I read through the present posts and already began searching car-parts.com for the required components. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Not too sure what model or type I should be looking for. Never used the car-parts website before and its a little intimidating. Thanks everyone.

Evening everyone. New to the forum and looking to upgrade my ‘15 Explorer Sport to Sync 3. I read through the present posts and already began searching car-parts.com for the required components. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Not too sure what model or type I should be looking for. Never used the car-parts website before and its a little intimidating. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Welcome.

Ford SYNC Touchscreen Upgrade Kits | 4D Tech

This site is kind of pricey but literally plug and play. I had my 2015 Expedition done in about an hour. I had the NAV so that was about $600 more. Again pricey but about as plug and play as you can get. Instructions are color and detailed with color drawings of affected area and adapters required.

Send them your VIN, credit card and wait a few days. I ordered mine on a Saturday overnight and had it Wednesday.

ONE MAJOR NOTE. YOU Lose the AUX Input you still keep the dual USB but lose the RCA and AUX and updates including NAVIGATION MAP DATABASE are over Wi Fi not SD card. not deal breaker but INFORMATIVE.

Another NOTE The vehicle will recognize SYNC 3 but FORD IDS and OASIS probably wont because it wasn't in the factory As Built data (ABD) 4D Tech support ws pretty helpful and I had no major issues aside from the occasional SWITCHING to AM during start up regardless of what last audio source was. Known issue and as of now Ford IVT either does not know the fix or is not releasing the information as a software update. Work around is either live with it or use remote start if available it should stay on last setting after you press brake and ignition fob. Should also keep last audio setting if you use remote start from external and rotate key to start if IA keyless start not available on your model. Mine was bad enough but also would default to not the nice smooth classical music I got the staticy high volume Rush Limbaugh channel.

Finally upgraded my MFT to Sync 3. But the one I found was a recessed mount, so I had to drill holes in my existing brackets.Not a big deal but I am having some issues and would be great if you guys can help me out here.
  1. First my climate controls are not showing up in the screen. I loaded As Built data of a similar spec'd 17 Explorer and it shows the climate control screen but it is blank. Tried changing multiple settings from ForScan codes deom FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers but still the same problem of blank screens.
  2. Second my steering wheel's 'seek', 'call start/end' and 'voice command' buttons are not working now. What settings need to be changed to make them work?
  3. My 15 Explorer has premium sound, so on top of the air vents where it is suggested to put GPS antenna, I have a speaker, so I guess it would interfere, where else have you guys placed the GPS antenna?
ForScan - Imgur
Sync 3 Screen - Imgur

Thanks.

I believe the OEM GPS antenna is to the left of that speaker and more in line with the driver. See C2398

2011_explorer_componentviews_08.png

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back