Solved - Blend door actuator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Blend door actuator

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Georgia_Birdman

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer with EATC. I have the suspicion that the blend door actuator is bad. However, it would help if I knew the pin-out of the eight-pin connector. If anyone has that, please post it in your reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Free wiring diagrams can be found here in the auto repair referencecenter:
EBSCOhost Login

User ID = s8921298
password = password

B574FB8F-D078-4DEE-AC77-B0964ECF3CD1.jpeg

This is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks a bunch. One more thing... Do you have the vacuum diagram for the same system?

It looks like they changed what auto reference they hadn’t. There are electrical diagrams still, but they aren’t the same, and don’t seem as thorough.

Pull blend door actuator (somewhat easy) and/or use an inspection mirror to watch the motor.

Stripping of the small gears in the actuator are common.

What is your system doing?

I was able to pop it off the mounting bracket. It just snaps off. I took it apart and found some of the teeth broke off the small gear closest to the motor. I also removed the blend door itself via a very frustrating method. The upper pivot point was split in two where the actuator shaft connects. I bought a new dormandorma from NAPA that has a metal pivot point. I tried for two hours and could not get it in. Had my mechanic install it and a new motorcraft actuator. Problem solved. Everything works great.

I always just cut the box to remove the door.

I did that, but I didn't cut the area where the pivot hole is. I could not get the new door in. I didn't want to force it and damage something.

Back