PIU Remote Start PATS bypass?

Mcbooya

Reaction score
City, State
North dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Utility
Hello,

Does anyone know if the '13 PIU requires a PATS bypass for an aftermarket remote start? I have a key with basic remote start buttons enabled, but the range is horrible so looking at upgrading with a cheap aftermarket. I know I can use extra cheap keys from ace hardware to start the car - my thought is that the Police Utilities do no have a PATS key bypass requirement, but looking for confirmation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately I can't answer your question but am curious as to what the current range is. For the retail version it is in the 300' range.
FYI, anything left plugged into the USB or power ports can interfere with the remote start.

Peter

I know I can use extra cheap keys from ace hardware to start the car - my thought is that the Police Utilities do no have a PATS key bypass requirement, but looking for confirmation.
You pretty much answered your own question.

Regular key from hardware store = no pats transponder.

I don't believe they even have the transponder wiring under the dash either, so if you have an alarm that plugs into that harness for ground or trigger, you may need to modify slightly and connect elsewhere.

Range - I have the basic remote start that was turned on with FORSCAN - Range is typically 50'. The further away I am the harder it is for the start signal to get read by the car - the locks will flash but getting the double tap to start only works when closer to the 50' range. I also added on the antenna extension to the TPMS but didn't notice much difference.

On the PATS - I should clarify that the keys I got cut at Ace have the "transponder" - the non-programmable keys that have a 80 bit chip in the end, and they work just fine without any programming. So my question would be if anyone knows if a basic remote start would still need the bypass for one of these non-programmable key ignitions?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no PATS transponder in the PIU, or if there is, it doesn't do anything, so there should be no need to bypass. PIU keys do not require microchip and just use standard (OG) key blanks.

The only thing I am aware of to look out for is if the aftermarket system you are adding is setup for a retail explorer and plugs into the transponder harness for ground/signal, then you may have to splice it in elsewhere on the PIU to get that ground/signal as I don't believe the PIU wire harness has that connection like the retail harness. YMMV.

I purchased the single button remote start fobs for my 2014 PIU. How do I program these? I have Remote Start enabled via Forscan already and the hood button. I just don't understand how to program the remote start fobs, since all the instructions are based around buying the combined key/remote and programming these.

I purchased the single button remote start fobs for my 2014 PIU. How do I program these? I have Remote Start enabled via Forscan already and the hood button. I just don't understand how to program the remote start fobs, since all the instructions are based around buying the combined key/remote and programming these.

Do you have the rest of the system that goes with those? The VSS and antenna?

Do you have the rest of the system that goes with those? The VSS and antenna?
No. Everyone on this board says all you have to do is enable remote start via Forscan and plug in the hood switch, because every Explorer, base/PIU and up comes pre wired with everything for remote start.

So, how do I program the remote start button? I've seen plenty of directions to program the lock/unlock fobs. Do I just press the remote start button while in program mode instead of the lock fobs?

No. Everyone on this board says all you have to do is enable remote start via Forscan and plug in the hood switch, because every Explorer, base/PIU and up comes pre wired with everything for remote start.

So, how do I program the remote start button? I've seen plenty of directions to program the lock/unlock fobs. Do I just press the remote start button while in program mode instead of the lock fobs?

There is no such oem product as a stand-alone single button remote start fob. What you have is the fob for the long range kit. You need the rest of the kit to use that.

There is no such oem product as a single button remote start fob. What you have is the fob for the long range kit. You need the rest of the kit to use that.
I'm not buying a kit or any extra garbage. I'm only interested in making what is already in the car functioning. What do I need to accomplish that as far as fobs go? I will buy the cheapest, used fobs I can find on eBay and cut the key portion off and replace them with my current RKE fobs if I have to.

Just to update the original post - I installed an Avital aftermarket remote start in my PIU (which has the fleet key) - no need for a transponder bypass, and install was easy. Still use the Lock/Unlock on the IKT key, but now remote start is on a 1 button avital remote. I will do a range test and post once I have the actual range.

Back