BODY MODS (old skool style) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BODY MODS (old skool style)

Here's my '97 Explorer 2wd 5-spd when I bought it
EXBEFORE.jpg

This the way she looked after the first round of mods
100_0221-1.jpg

And now is under construction (heavily influinced by the likes of Gearge Barris, Ed Roth, Bill Hines etc.) with some old skool body mods.

With the help of a '94 Explorer Sport as a parts truck
EXparts.jpg

I am building 'The One Ford Never Built' So here we go
100_0567.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0672.jpg

100_0681.jpg

100_0726.jpg

100_0727.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well that sucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn. Woe that is stupid...government intervention can be unnecessary. Sucks that you couldn't finish making this thing. So does this mean u cant even costum paint your car?

I kinda wish you would have only filled/finished the windows for the sedan delivery look, now that the government has stepped in.

I was not feeling the headlight and taillight mods, but was interested in seeing the end result regardless.

Damn. Woe that is stupid...government intervention can be unnecessary. Sucks that you couldn't finish making this thing. So does this mean u cant even costum paint your car?

Custom paint is all right, it's when you get into modifying the structure, suspension or motor that grabs their attention.

For example, 1 friend of mine built a '38 Chevy coupe with a chopped roof and an LS1 swap. He got nailed because it wasn't built by a licensed bodyman, and not having the OEM emission controls on the motor. He had to get a "structural safety", install ALL the emissions BS that the donor car came with from the factory, E-test it as a '11 Camaro and pay the fines (I think about $1200) to get his plates back so he could put it back on the road.

And Canadian roads are now safer...that's the reason for the intrusion, eh?

Wholey cow! This thing is still going?
Well, I may as well put it to bed, this truck has been parted out and the body had a date with the crusher.

As of January 1st 2013 a law was passed in Ontario Canada that will allow police, MTO (our version of DOT) and even Ministry of Environment authority to pull over any vehicle that can be concidered "modified" for full roadside inspection. I have had a lot of friends have their plates pulled for total BS reasons (in most cases they have gotten the charges overturned in court but that is a huge PITA)

I drive truck so am hasseled on a regular basis by these authorities, the last thing I want to do is deal with them on the weekends while crusin

This has been a really hard decision but I decided to cut my loses before I had any real money in it.

i can feel your pain on this. its never fun tossing a project. i have yet to finish my other toy (81 capri with a 429 big block) that has been on the back burner for the last 8 or so years.
winnipeg has a similar thing call the VIU (vehicle inspection unit) in which they have a mobile inspection van set up with ramps in a random parking lot. for the first 2 years they would nail anyone with anything, anyplace. so bad that they set up a few blocks away from a charity car show, walked around at the show, then pulled people over from the show as they left. that didnt sit well with the public. they even hit one guy for not having windshield washer fluid in the reservoir (and truth be known if i ever got pulled, i would get hit with a few things that would be a bs charge as well). it got to the point the mayor of winnipeg told them to pull the rains back a bit on it.
and the beauty of this brain child! the cops that inspect the cars/trucks are not licensed mechanics.
but what do they consider "a licensed bodyman"? most shops only have a few journeymen bodyman in their shop and the rest are apprentices. i myself have enough hours to get either a journeymen paper or level 4 but time has lapsed. but even when i was working as a bodyman full time, i was working on insurance claims cars for my employers and not fully licensed. if i ever have to face the day when i am pulled over because of that, i will demand they go back and find every car i have ever worked on for the manitoba public insurance (MPI), inspect them and have them repaired on their dime. after all, i was hired by them. i was good enough then, why am i not now.
sorry for the rant. every time see this type of thing in print, it kinda sets me off.

Yup, that's what they are doing here. They are setting up just out side car shows, cruise nights, walking around looking at the cars and pulling them over as soon as they hit a public road. I belong to a local Ranger Club and they will sit 1/2 a block away flagging anyone over that has a club sticker.

As for the licensed bodyman, you where working under a journeyman theyfore covered by his license. I am the same way, worked as a bodyman for 18yrs but never wrote the test therefore if either of did structural mods to our rides we would be classfied as "inexperienced"

thats really too bad! this was one of my favorite projects on here, how come you didnt try and sell it to another EF member so they could try and finish it? (not judging just curious, im sure a few guys on here that have the resources would have loved to try and finish it)

I had it advertised in numerous places all summer and never got a single bite. Just not on here becuase of not being allowed to sell on the forum unless I pay for the elite. I guess nobody wants somebody else's unfinished project, I know I would never buy one.

Not to mention when coming to such a decision It's like a band-aide you want to make it quick... and I needed money for my next project, an asphalt sled (them *******s can't touch me if it only runs on the strip)

Did you ever sell it?

Back