• Register Today It's free!

Am I Screwed?!

bigdaveLB

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT ecoboost
i just picked up a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine (71K miles). I noticed a “loose chain” sound when starting it up to test drive it. The sales guy said that was normal for this engine due to the turbo not being totally lubricated on startup. It test drive fine and I didn’t notice any other off sounds. I did a quick google search and the story sounded plausible so I bought the car as everything else was immaculate. I now notice the sound, although not as prominent and almost indistinguishable, when coming off the gas pedal or coasting even after warm-up. I dug a bit through this forum, and I am not liking what I am hearing, basically that the turbo may need to be replaced? Any feedback welcomed, even if it’s a link to the proper information as I am having a hard time finding information specific to the 2.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wastegate seems to be a common rattle complaint and yes it comes only complete with the turbo.

Welcome.

Welcome to the Forum dave.:wave:
Any chance it could be the belt or tensioner pulley? There are several threads on those. ‘12 just serviced- noise on drive belt
One member changed a belt but the noise did not completely go away until he replaced it with a higher temperature belt.

Peter

First, never believe a car salesman when it comes to vehicle issues. I recall a similar situation: years ago I was test driving a new Chevy Cavalier with my wife and the salesman - went to make a turn and the signals didn’t work. He blamed it on the fact that the car had to “ break in” before they would work. We walked away and never went back.

Back to the issue you’ve described - other than possibly a noisy waste gate as mentioned above, turbos don’t make noise at start-up. Your description of timing chain noise would make a lot more sense. Most chain tensioners are designed with a feature which keeps them tensioned even after the engine is turned off and the oil pressure has dropped to zero. It’s possible that mechanism has either broken or become disabled somehow. Without it you will hear noise until oil pressure builds and applies pressure to the tensioner; this would cause start up noise until the slack in the chain is taken up.

I would take it back to the dealer and have another discussion with that salesman. Hopefully he isn’t too slimy and will offer to help get the service department to assist with resolving the issue properly with little to no cost to yourself.

Whenever I ask “am I screwed?”.... I am.

But maybe that’s just me.

Good luck!!!

I did a quick google search and the story sounded plausible so I bought the car as everything else was immaculate.
Unusual noises are not normal. If you can't identify and determine the source, best to move on to a vehicle that doesn't make unusual noises.

With that said, I pretended I didn't know anything and did a quick Google search for "2.0 ecoboost loose chain noise on startup" and got a plethora of hits that would seem to indicate it is far from normal and could be expensive.

Did you get any kind of warranty from the place you bought it from? If yes, take it to them and ask them to look at it. If not, only you can decide if it is worth it to spend money to properly diagnose and fix whatever problem is discovered. Best of luck.

Another thread with no followup by the OP.:(

Peter

Is it a standard transmission?

I had a '06 F150 that had a rattle like sound that came from near the clutch. I found it was fairly normal. Never caused me any problem.

Is it a standard transmission?

I had a '06 F150 that had a rattle like sound that came from near the clutch. I found it was fairly normal. Never caused me any problem.
The 5th gen Explorers all have an automatic transmission.

Peter

It is the wastegate on the turbo, and its not fixable, replace turbo. Very indepth how to on youtube.

Back