97 V8 AWD 88k, Fuel System Issue - Mechanic has given up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 V8 AWD 88k, Fuel System Issue - Mechanic has given up

Hunt the coolant leak from the top down, most will be wet all the way up to the leaking point. So look carefully around the thermostat housing, which in V6's is very prone to leaking. Look for fluid or wetness on the upper engine parts, start at the front most area and find the highest wet spot, and furthest forward.

If you have a decent leak on the ground, that's easier to find the source than a tiny leak. The fuel pump relay should see power full time. The connectors down in the PDB where it's at should have power to one of the terminals. So test those to find the power source, plus be sure those terminals are all up where they should be, so the relay terminals do fully engage them(they don't move downward).

Ok - two truck update...
Regarding the 97 5.0 AWD with 130k that I backed into a light pole a year ago. Other than back and forth a few yards once every month or two, it hasn't moved since then (other than the 120 miles I drove it without issue the day I backed it into the pole). When I said a leak of coolant maybe I gave the wrong impression. The picture is from me standing in front of the truck after running it for 15-20 mins (while I was inside the house). More like a downpour than a leak. Also this had not happened any other time I run the car briefly over the last years.

Also previously I though there was a leak from by the plate protecting the driveshaft so I put a cardboard box there expecting to see the leak there (because I can see oil on the steel plate. Well absolutely nothing from the driveshaft plate area - dry as a bone.

Regarding the 97 5.0 AWD with 80k daily driver with fuel system issues, I'll hear back from the dealer day after christmas. With dealer rates, either it will be a good holiday for me or a good holiday for the dealer but not both.

leak.jpg

timing cover is common leak point on the 5.0's and it they can pour out while running sometimes as significantly large sections of gasket can be blown out. If you have an auto store like advance or autozone, they lend out kits that you can pressurize up your cooling system and look for the leak. Much easier to pinpoint leaks with this kit than while running, in my opinion.

I hope things go well with the dealer...never had any good experiences with them many years ago before I started doing all of my own repairs/maintenance..

Back