4.0 SOHC | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC

i dont have a fax machine available, so i cant check em out i guess.

i hate to assume that the first thing i hear from someone i never met before is a lie, so ill give you the benefit of the doubt, even though my better judgment doesnt think that you can get that kind of gain from just those 2 mods, like morrisey said. either way, im not gonna sit here and argue it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robb look at the link again. You are looking at the air/fuel graph. There are 3 other graphs; torque, horsepower, and the raw data.

Dead Link Removed

Rob,
gotcha........I hadn't looked at an Excel screen in years

I see max stock at about ...5050 rpm @ +/- 169 HP
and max intake/exhaust at 5150 rpm @ +/- 188 HP

19 HP is still impressive with only those mods............Congrats!

Robb

When I made the original post, I was ballparking the stock 164hp based on the 20% rule. I also know that hp readings can vary slightly from one stock engine to another, but since I didn't dyno mine in stock trim I have to use another stock STs dyno numbers.

I'm not trying to bs anyone here which is why I have gone to great lengths to document my mods.

Hey does it seem that there are 3 groups here in the forum. A - 5.0L OHV V8, B - 4.0L OHV V6. C - 4.0L SOHC V6. Ok let's say that yes the 4.0L OHV is not that powerfull stock but has alot of nice performance mods for it. The SOHC comes with 203-210 horses dependsing on if its a Sport or Sport Trac and that nice but there aren't that many mods for it YET but hey its only been around since 98. The OHV motors like the 4.0L and the 5.0L have been around for years now and there are alot of mods for them. And i tell you what if they offerd a 5.0L 302 V8 in a sport watch out that thing would kill all. I would own one in a heart beat. I always said that the Saleen Explorer should have been 2 door 5.0L so it would be really different. Thanks for your time guys and gals. Let's all be friends long live the Explorer.

The SOHC comes with 203-210 horses dependsing on if its a Sport or Sport Trac and that nice but there aren't that many mods for it YET but hey its only been around since 98.

I thought it was 95/96 the SOHC came out?

I have to defend the supercharged SOHC's and OHV's

I've personally supercharged a SOHC and all I can say is WOW! These engines love boost! The compression ratio is fine for up to around 8spi before you need to worry with detonation supression. BUT this was with a Eaton M90, the M62, like will be used in the EE kit, will make less flow then the M90 so it may support upwards of 8-11psi. Boost numbers aren't something written in stone for every supercharger, flow numbers are what you need to look at. Also these kits will come with an aftermarket chip to tune the engine for a supercharged application with better fuel curves and timing maps. I know the guys doing the chips for them.

So lets see, with a pretty well stock SOHC lets say 207hp with a M62 at 6lbs of boost with a good exhaust system and computer tune it would well be around the 275 hp mark if not higher. The Vortech kit for the OHV is rated at an added 77hp.

Now compare that with a STOCK shall we say 302 H.O at 225hp for around a grand or even $1500 new, then the headache of actually getting someone to install it for another $1500 you have $3000 in a now heavier explorer. Opps!! But we forgot!! You'll also need another transimission since no tranny behind a 4.0 will even come close to that of a 5.0 so shall we say another $1000? Then the added time labor to install it another say $500. Now we're up around $4500. Did you take into account that there's gonna be alot of down time for the swap, taken to a shop that does this everyday and I'd still say a good week or more, leaning toward more ;). Then you also have the emissions rules in most states that say you cannot install an engine that is any older then the vehicle its going in. So now that cuts out most H.O 5.0's and drops you down to the standard 5.0 in an Explorer. Did I mention the time your out of your ride? How about the Exhaust you have to have made for the 5.0? Ever priced new Cats.? Or A new Driveshaft?

Now lets get back to the SOHC, how about the coolness factor? :cool: How many supercharged SOHC's are out there? How many production 5.0 explorer's? How much would it take to get the 5.0 up to par with the new hp numbers of the SOHC? How much added weight would your old suspension take?

Most importantly how reliable would the new 5.0 be?

I know from experience that most swaps are a work in progress for the first few months. Usually because most installation kits never include everything needed. So you have to wait on this or order that.

To me I like the ease of bolt something on thats been proven and also don't take alot of R&D on my part to get to work. If you call bolt-ons ricer equipment then so be it, anytime you wanna pull your nonbolt-on Explorer 5.0 next to my ricer splash I'm game, I think Alex would be too ;).

Not that I'm against a 5.0 in an Explorer please no its by far the most power for the money, but for the everyday consumer that wants alot of power and little effort the supercharger from whoever it may be I feel that this is the best way to go...

Later Doug904 :D

Doug,
Nice Write-Up!

Robb

btw: Alec hates to be called Alex! So, please leave it the way it is!:D

Originally posted by morrisey0
Doug,
Nice Write-Up!

Robb

btw: Alec hates to be called Alex! So, please leave it the way it is!:D

Doughhh :eek: :hammer:

Doug.. you got any times on your ranger?

With the stock SOHC with 9.7:1 C/R we've been running 6-8 psi with no detonation. Its when we really start hitting the boost numbers above that is when we start to hear some. Now granted detonation begins before you hear it but we've even used a product to monitor this that gos directly on the block, kinda like a knock sensor. The big thing to remember is we've been using a Eaton M90 charger, not the M62. The M62 will be better suited to a stock engine then the larger M90. It will give great amounts of torque and hp and the smaller displacement will help to keep any risk of detonation down. Also the EE kit will come with a aftermarket chip to help fine tune the computer for improved power and to aid in boost. Now,:D , with an 8:1 SOHC we've seen 15psi before detonation but thats a whole different story for another day.

My truck is still in the developement stages and with my stock heads and intakes I've ran a 13.80 in the 1/4 and a 8.83 in the 1/8th. Since I've better suited my fuel system and correct my injector sizes, too big hurts yes it does. I'm also having my heads and intakes professionally port, polished and flow balanced to really help out with the flow. THe OHV 4.0 is a big cork that really likes to be opened up. THe lower intakes on these engines is really nasty and restritive. The heads respond well to a nice port job too. So I'll keep you posted to my progress I should have it back togehter in early January.

Later Doug904.

to Doug904

doug904,

how were you able to use a M90- and what type of fabrication did it take? you seem to have a good source of parts for the the SOHC. Where were you able to track them down? I'm looking for nore than the basic bolt-on's. Will you be able to run juice with the supercharger or willl that cause detonation. My motor in my sport (99) has only 23,000 miles so I have a good foundation

Back