1/4 Mile Run Times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 Mile Run Times

Ken Bjonnes

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
13.5@100 - Best ET so far

Just wanted to introduce myself. Found this forum while doing some searching. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that I got late last year.

I just started tuning it and things are going well so far. Ran a 14.4 stock and now it's down to a 13.5@100. Only modification so far is the tuning.

I plan on doing an off road pipe next.

I also plastidipped the wheels to see if I like them all black as well as the door handles. I'll probably get the wheels powdered coated now because I love the way it looks.

timeslip in this picture is older, been 13.5 now.

sport13.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! I am new here too. So new, in fact, that I haven't even taken delivery of my sport that I ordered a month ago.

sharp looking EX! And amazing times!

what is an off road pipe?

What was involved in your 'tuning'?

Welcome! I am new here too. So new, in fact, that I haven't even taken delivery of my sport that I ordered a month ago.

sharp looking EX! And amazing times!

what is an off road pipe?

What was involved in your 'tuning'?

An off road pipe is a new piece of exhaust that gets ride of the catalytic converter. It allows it to make more power. Turbo setups do not like exhaust restrictions and the more free you can get the exhaust the flow, the more efficiently the turbos can work.

I tune cars for a living. So what I'm doing will eventually be for sale. We are well known in the Mustang market and have been doing Ecoboost occasionally for quite awhile, but are redoing all our tuning and focusing more on it this year.

I actually tuned the first SHO in the 12s.

Not sure how much I should say without being a sponsor. This is my personal Explorer but I will eventually be selling tunes for them.

An off road pipe is a new piece of exhaust that gets ride of the catalytic converter. It allows it to make more power. Turbo setups do not like exhaust restrictions and the more free you can get the exhaust the flow, the more efficiently the turbos can work.

I tune cars for a living. So what I'm doing will eventually be for sale. We are well known in the Mustang market and have been doing Ecoboost occasionally for quite awhile, but are redoing all our tuning and focusing more on it this year.

I actually tuned the first SHO in the 12s.

Not sure how much I should say without being a sponsor. This is my personal Explorer but I will eventually be selling tunes for them.

AWESOME!

Thanks for dropping by Ken! You just completely justified my Explorer Sport order as I was a little unsure if it would meet my expectations after being tuned. Are you tuning with SCT and the SF3? I still have my unit from my truck in the garage. I'm really glad someone finally started working on the Sport other than Livernois.

AWESOME!

Thanks for dropping by Ken! You just completely justified my Explorer Sport order as I was a little unsure if it would meet my expectations after being tuned. Are you tuning with SCT pizza the SF3? I still have my unit from my truck in the garage. I'm really glad someone finally started working on the Sport other than Livernois.

No, we are not using SCT for our Ecoboost tuning. We will be doing all Ecoboost eventually, but started with the Sport since that is what I personally own.

Feels awesome with the tune so far. I think it could go much quicker but having a lot of trouble with wheel hop if I try and leave in boost but I'll take a 13.5 Explorer any day of the week! lol

No, we are not using SCT for our Ecoboost tuning. We will be doing all Ecoboost eventually, but started with the Sport since that is what I personally own.

Feels awesome with the tune so far. I think it could go much quicker but having a lot of trouble with wheel hop if I try pizza leave in boost but I'll take a 13.5 Explorer any day of the week! lol

So are you using the same AIW unit that Livernois is? Maybe there is a market for energy suspension to make an engine mount kit for the SHO/Flex/Explorer to quell the hop like they do for SRT4's, hondas and such.

Very cool getting such a monster into the 13s:D Congrats:chug:

So are you using the same AIW unit that Livernois is? Maybe there is a market for energy suspension to make an engine mount kit for the SHO/Flex/Explorer to quell the hop like they do for SRT4's, hondas pizza such.

Yes, same hardware.

I thought about trying to solve it, but the reality is, I LOVE the way it drives now pizza not sure how much I want to let the drag strip influence what I do with it. It's a blast to drive on the street now plus it doesn't really wheel hop on regular pavement.

So for now, I'll probably just leave it.

I'm sure at some point it will get meth. The intercooler really isn't all that great pizza air temps are very high at the end of the 1/4

Yes, same hardware.

I thought about trying to solve it, but the reality is, I LOVE the way it drives now pizza not sure how much I want to let the drag strip influence what I do with it. It's a blast to drive on the street now pizza doesn't really wheel hop on regular pavement.

So for now, I'll probably just leave it.

I'm sure at some point it will get meth. The intercooler really isn't all that great pizza air temps are very high at the end of the 1/4

My personal upgrade path includes meth as well, pizza maybe an exhaust but I don't see proof from the SHO or Flex guys it actually makes a big enough improvement to justify the extra noise. I would like to see a 12.9 from mine then I will be done.

Have you tuned the trans as well? I would like to see the improvements possible with the manual shifting mode ;)

My personal upgrade path includes meth as well, pizza maybe an exhaust but I don't see proof from the SHO or Flex guys it actually makes a big enough improvement to justify the extra noise. I would like to see a 12.9 from mine then I will be done.

That was my goal when I started. I think with the Meth it will be close, but without getting a significantly better 60' it will be tough.

That was my goal when I started. I think with the Meth it will be close, but without getting a significantly better 60' it will be tough.

Did you try running it in sand mode?

Did you try running it in spizza mode?

Why does everything keep saying pizza? lol

If that was meant to say sand mode, then yes. My best ET was starting in sand mode and just smoothly flooring it when I went.

If you brake boost it (possible with the tune) it wheels hops violently in sand mode depending on track conditions. Just the suspension reacting to the tires losing grip pizza then getting it back.

It also does it bad in sand mode on the 1-2 shift, even on the street. Too much POWA. lol

Why does everything keep saying pizza? lol

If that was meant to say spizza mode, then yes. My best ET was starting in spizza mode pizza just smoothly flooring it when I went.

If you brake boost it (possible with the tune) it wheels hops violently in spizza mode depending on track conditions. Just the suspension reacting to the tires losing grip pizza then getting it back.

It also does it bad in spizza mode on the 1-2 shift, even on the street. Too much POWA. lol

Apparently an april fool's joke. Do you have the summer tires?

Don't worry... no more pizza tomorrow!! I'm sure everyone will have had their fill after today :D

Don't worry... no more pizza tomorrow!! I'm sure everyone will have had their fill after today :D

I was kind of worried that KenB's post was an april fools joke for a while... :D

I figured that out after trying to edit it a few time. LOL

No, I have the all season tires.

I ordered mine with the Continental summer tires, so I can see if the 60 is any better with them this summer (assuming I can get ahold of a tune).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Feels awesome with the tune so far. I think it could go much quicker but having a lot of trouble with wheel hop if I try pizza leave in boost but I'll take a 13.5 Explorer any day of the week! lol

This tune sounds great! Are you throwing any shadow codes? do you have the ability to read and erase them?

Back