• Register Today It's free!

1/4 Mile Times

Fordham

Reaction score
City, State
Macon Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
Took my 08 STA to the local track on Saturday to watch some friends and decided to run. Unfortunately I had a full tak of gas. Not too dissappointed considering what this vehicle does well. Only modifications are I replaced the resonator and muffler with a Flowmaster 50 series.4.6 3v

16.20 Et 84 MPH Weight 5190 lbs temp was 71 deg
I weigh 280 lbs for reference

Clay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you had fun! It would be interesting to know how much improvement you could see with only a 1/4 tank of fuel?

To some folks a 16.2 may not sound very fast, but we must remember this is a fairly heavy vehicle, and what does NOT show in 1/4 mile results is the continuing speed increase AFTER the 1/4 mile.

In 1982 I bought a new Trans Am. I did four back-to-back 1/4 mile runs, all around 16.3 @ 84mph. Trust me, when you snapped open the throttle at 70 mph, the Firebird was very weak. In comparison, my 08 STA would leave it for DEAD anywhere on the highway.

I say "Bravo" my friend. Be very proud of your STA's results.

I had no idea these pigs were that heavy! Glad I didn't buy one for speed... Hahaha, seriously though, sounds like you had a good time, and that's what it's all about.

Another thing to remember is you're running that time with a drive by wire throttle and no programmer, add an intake and a programmer and you are easily in the 15s.

fogghornn you are correct these motors pull really hard on the top end and keeps pulling all the way to the limiter. From about 25-30 mph mine is pretty quick.

Brings to mind something a guy I grew up with used to say... "Anybody can make a light car go fast"

Another thing to remember is you're running that time with a drive by wire throttle and no programmer, add an intake and a programmer and you are easily in the 15s.

fogghornn you are correct these motors pull really hard on the top end and keeps pulling all the way to the limiter. From about 25-30 mph mine is pretty quick.

Brings to mind something a guy I grew up with used to say... "Anybody can make a light car go fast"

+1 I notice off the line it's ok but around 30 mph I punch it and it takes off like a bat out of hell. This truck does impress me.

Thanks for posting this. I was curious what the STA's run. Been meaning to get a baseline on mine, but haven't been able to get to the track with it.

What was the 60ft on that 16.20 run? Any tire spin? Did you turn the traction control off?

With a few items removed, you can see some big improvements at the track. I weighed the spare tire and jack one day, and it was about 75 lbs. Plus the super heavy tonneau cover is probably another 70 lbs or so (god that thing is heavy when i have to remove it!) and of course the fuel at 6.2 lbs per gallon. Problem is, all that weight is over the rear tires, so you may get some wheelspin once its removed.

I think your going to make me take the Adrenalin to the track.
I may have to leave the Lightning home for one of the Ford Events.

I know I can get the Adrenalin in the 15's... and I have done nothing to it.

I will keep my eye out for either Etown or Epping events.

I think your going to make me take the Adrenalin to the track.
I may have to leave the Lightning home for one of the Ford Events.

I know I can get the Adrenalin in the 15's... and I have done nothing to it.

I will keep my eye out for either Etown or Epping events.

Obiewan,

Guide us down the 1/4 mile.
Teach us how to use "the Force" and find our place in the fabulous 15 second timespace.

stylin99
I did turn the traction control off but it didn't make much difference. I cleaned the tires off with a short burnout and I stayed out of the water box. I nailed it from idle when the last yellow bulb came on and cut an .015 light. No wheel spin at all.
My 60 ft was terrible , I think 2.49 I will check my time slip..
Next time I will plan it and take off the lid and have less gas. I probably wont take out the spare.
These trucks have such a delat in power that you loose at least 3 seconds on the take off. I would bet from 40 mph on they run great!!
I still love my STA!!

Back