1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring

91 Explorer Solid Axle Swap

Hello everyone. This is a White 91 Explorer. Solid axle came out of an 89 jeep wrangler. Front leafs are new but from a jeep. The rear lift was made by using high arched "soft ride" leafs, and flipping over the axle. There are not any blocks! The front has 12 inch Fox shocks and resevoirs (though resevoirs are not in pictures, i am getting them installed this week. Iwill get new pictures as soon as that is done.)
The Truck Has 37" Super Swampers SSR's on it right now but i will be putting 38" Tires on it when these wear out.
I still have to measure it next to another but i believe the total suspension lift is about 15 inches plus the tire difference.
The frame is 29" off the ground. Truck runs great and Rides excellent. If you have any questions just ask.
Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trails.
I am in San Diego.
Oh yeah to see the photos just click on my photo gallery under my name. Late!

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks real nice! Is that a Dana 30 front axle? What part of SD are you in?

Thanks for the compliment.
Yes that is a dana 30 from a wrangler.
I am in clairemont near the 805 and 52 freeway. Not very far from you at all. I was just working in oceanside today. I went right through carlsbad.
Nice ranger! Do you know anyone who wants to buy the front end? I have the whole four wheel drive front end that came out of my truck. Hub to hub and radius arms. 91-94 ranger and explorer, it should be the same.

I don't know anybody offhand that needs it, but you got it in the For Sale forum, so that's good. You might want to post it on the Offroadrangers board, too. There's a LOT of SoCal people there.
Have you seen the thread on the Truckhaven run next weekend? You really ought to go. You're so close!

I havent seen that thread. I'll have to check it out. I will go for sure. That would be real fun. Are you going? About How far is it?
Oh yeah one more thing, do you know how do i put a pic under my name?

Hell yeah I'm going! There will be about 30 Explorers and Rangers. It's about 100 miles east for me. But people are coming from Texas and Washington, so I can't complain.

You need to become an Elite Explorer to have an picture (avatar). That or be a moderator.:D

I am going to go i think. This will be real fun.
I am elite. How do i get the pic??

Oops, I didn't think to look.:eek: Just email the pic that you want to use to Rick. I would also send him a PM letting him know to watch for it, cuz he gets tons of email a day, and sometimes some 'get lost in the pile.'

Look at the thread called "Important: Truckhaven 2003" in the Exploring Trails forum. All the hard facts are there. Discussion is in the multi-page "Truckhaven 2003" thread.

How long will that Dana 30 last with 37s or 38s.

It has been fine so far, but i guess i will find out. I am still planning on doing a lot of work to it. It is my everyday driver so I am carefull with it and right now it is not full blown made for abuse because i dont want to thrash it. If that is what i wanted to do i would get a jeep that is cheap, and i could thrash rock crawling.

Could you please take a good pic of the front axel leaf mounting points i am very curious as to how its mounted.

I will work on that for you. Dont let me forget though. If you dont get a pic soon make sure and remind me.
Are you reffering to the mounts where the leaf mounts to the frame? I will try to get a pic soon for you. They are really strong gussett (spelling?:) ) type mounts.
The leafs go all the way to the frame mounts. There arent any ugly brackets, and there aren' any blocks in the rear.

Well here is another pic but it still doesent show the mounts. Ill work on that pic for you. I have the resevoirs that go on the shocks in my garage, and i am having them installed very soon. Ill post a new pic when they are installed.

view of wheel well, fox shocks. web optimized.jpg

Very cool, i was going to do a leaf sprung setup but i just got back from buying a 77 F150 D44,
Strange i looked hi and low for the last year to find one of these diffs and not more than a few days after buying the FSJ diff i found 2 ford D44's just lying around.
Make sure to take a good pic of how the leafs are attached to the frame as i am sure some one will find the information VERY usefull.
COOL TRUCK MAN!!!

Be sure to check out the Detailed write up under the explorer "registry forum" under "91 solid axle swap" thread.

just curious. why do you brag about 'no blocks'. i can see how no body lift and no trimming shows that all that lift will produce great articulation. but even though blocks are uglier and cheaper than larger leaf springs, dont they serve a more practical purpose. heavily arched springs will limit articulation sometimes and the use of blocks with smaller springs could help.

i was just curious cuz i was reading about monter truck suspensions and huge blocks seemed preferred over overly arched springs for these reasons. there seems like there might be a happy medium between a slightly larger spring and some conservative blocks. am i right?

Unless you're running a link type suspension with your leaf springs, blocks will cause axle wrap. Also blocks should NEVER be used in the front of any truck.

That sums it up pretty well. The other reason is I personally dont like blocks. Just an oppinion. As far as flex goes, we actually had to stiffen my springs beacuse they were too soft. Now everything is just about perfect. I have a perfectly smooth ride and great flex. I cant wait till next month so I can get some flex pics in AZ.

Pictures

For everyone who wanted to see more pics go to "explorer registry" forum under the "91 solid axle swap thread" and check the new pics out. There are pics of the front leaf mounts that everyone wanted to see and some other pics as well.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read quite a bit about your explorer. I have been impressed with your idea of leaf springs. I wouldn't worry about what others think. Looks great. Can you give more detail on your front springs? I would like to know what brand and part #'s. Do you have any measurements on your spring mounts, drag link and steering parts? Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Back