1993 Explorer Rear Leaf Springs

niteklub79

Reaction score
City, State
CORPUS CHRISTI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 base auto 2wd
Howdy,

My rear leaf springs have finally flattened out (Literally, they're flat), and I am now contemplating replacing both springs along with the shackles and related items...

My question are:

- Would it be worth it to install an add-a-leaf instead or replacing the springs(I'm leaning toward just replacing them)?

- Would it be better to buy new or used (I'm thinking new)?

- What are the advantages or going with the F-150 swap?

-If I were to lift the rear springs, and the rest of the vehicle, what are the other parts I would have to replace to make it driveable with the lift?

Basically, I'd like to try and save some money if I can, but I'd also like to do this right the first time so that I don't need to come back in a year or two and do the same thing...The Explorer is bare bones stock, and if possible I'd like to keep it that way...

This site has saved me many a headache and I am eager to hear what you all have to say about this one...Any thoughts,opinions,or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again
-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For what its worth, if you want to stay stock, you can pickup a good set of springs from a junk yard for around a hundred or so. If you pull them a battery powered recip saw will be your best friend, those U bolts will be rusted on. As far as the parts to replace when doing the swap, i suggest a new set of shackles, Oriley has ones that are just like the OEM for around 35 each side, that includes new bushings and bolts. New u-bolts and related hardware are almost a must.

To get the bolts off i suggest a angle grinder with a cut off wheel, and a pneumatic hammer.

as far as the different questions posed, with the F-150 springs, I looked into that, but if i remember right the front hangers on the X are too small, you need to cut them off and weld or bolt on new hangers.

New vs used, my X made it 325000 on the first set of springs, so i found one in the yard with under 50k on it, little rust, and used those. Got a nice set for 70 bucks vs 225 each new.

LMC Truck sells stock springs for $100 a piece.

Whatever you decide on it's a must to get new U bolts,not almost new or anything like that,your rearend (as in your rear,not the trucks) is kinda on the line here and they will stretch and break.:D

New leaf spring are rather expensive.

The leaf spring sag on Explorers is caused by the weight of the fuel in the gas tank, plus the driver, both being on the same side and eventually flattening out the driver side spring. It does cause the rear to sag, but it's usually more of a leaning issue. The factory shackles have also been known to rust through, so you should also check their condition prior to deciding on a course of action.

Your most economical solution would be to either source a passenger side leaf spring from a similar Explorer, and simply replace the driver side leaf spring on yours with it, or do a leaf spring swap, removing the leaf springs from the vehicle, and swapping them from left to right, effectively putting the fresher spring on the heavier driver side and the flatter spring on the passenger side. With newer shackles if needed, sometimes this is enough to correct the lean and/or sag. If not, an inexpensive option for some slight rear lift with the original springs is some new slightly longer shackles. You can get cheap universal shackle kits at parts stores or online, make your own from some thick steel by drilling some holes and sourcing attachment hardware, or you can modify some Warrior WAR123 shackles by drilling them out for 14mm bolts.

Yep,I have the slight list to port on mine also and I have already replaced the rusted through shackles.I have considered putting new springs in mine along with an add a leaf to get about 2" of lift,that's all I need right now.:D

Well, I've elected to go with a total overhaul...That means new shocks,springs,and fasteners...Figure if I'm gonna spend the time I might as well do it right.

I'll take some pics, any other suggestions/tips?

New springs? You can find some decent junk yard ones for cheap... I'd bet the Sport\Navajo (2 door ones will fit, measure em) ones don't get as much sag as the vehicle is lighter.

I had to drive the bolts out that hold the springs on with a impact hammer. They can be a bear to get out. So I'd have a plan to pick one up if you need it.

Add a leaf. Nah don't do it. that leaf will lay down to about where you are now in a very short time.
My son has a '70 Dodge with a saggy butt. The Add a leafs came with the car when he bought it so we gave it a shot. Pulled the 'U' bolts off, slid the add a leaf in there and clamped it all up. Look great for two months, now it is slow morphing back to what it was. They flatten out very fast.

Look for a lowish mileage 'X' that was totalled due to front end damage.

Back