1998 Explorer Limited AWD Front Axle Locked-Up in Traffic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Limited AWD Front Axle Locked-Up in Traffic

Doyle Durham

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer LTD 5.0
Last Thursday during Rush-Hour Traffic on my way home, a noise (metal on metal) & as I jerked the wheel to enter the Suicide-Lane the truck skidded to a halt suddenly.

With engine running still, I did a walk-around inspection & found no physical damage or leaks. Engaging Reverse, truck would move... but in Drive or Neutral the Front Axle Binds/locks-up & pulls to the Left. Towing Company called to make the last 1 Mile journey home.

Today, with assistance, we put the truck on Four Jack-Stands to troubleshoot. Front Differential operates (Driver Tire spins forward when turning Passenger Tire to the rear) with little resistance. Rear Differential Was same, with Much More Resistance... So Rear Axle was Serviced(Cover removed for inspection, Fluid was Low, no visible damage; Axle Bearings checked/No Scoring on Axle; New Pan/Full Fluid Capacity w/Friction Modifier & 75w140 Syn.

No Change in Binding of Front End... Reverse works, Drive moves forward a Foot & truck stops hard, without braking applied.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your front brake caliper bolts. I'm thinking you've lost one and the caliper is jamming against the wheel. This is not an uncommon occurrence. Also look for gouges on the inside of the front wheel rims. Sometimes the wheel actually breaks and you get a flat too.

You can start by pulling the driveshaft with the front end jacked up and turn the yoke by hand. One tire or the other will spin. If you hold either tire while spinning the yoke the other tire should spin. If it "stops" your going to want to drop the front differential and open the cover. The only thing that will make it lock up would be trash in the gears or center pin sliding out.

This above test won't work on your rear axles as it might be limited slip.

Agree with Koda. Sounds like a caliper or caliper bolt failure. A bolt can shear and jam between the disc and pad, or the caliper can even get loose and bang up the works.

Check your front brake caliper bolts. I'm thinking you've lost one and the caliper is jamming against the wheel. This is not an uncommon occurrence. Also look for gouges on the inside of the front wheel rims. Sometimes the wheel actually breaks and you get a flat too.
I've checked all four calipers, as I recently (in the past month) replaced everything; Calipers/Pads/Rotors with a Drilled/Slotted Rotor Performance Set. All bolts are present & properly torqued where they belong.

Driver's Side Wheel pulls Left when binding, but spins fine when truck is on jack stands.

Thank you for your feedback on my First Post & the Valuable Suggestion!

I still think it has something to do with your front brakes. While up on the jack stands, I'd remove the caliper on the offending/left side (and hang it up) then try putting the truck in DRIVE and see what it does. Note: DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL with the caliper off unless you block the pads with a piece of wood or something.

If the axles turn without jamming you know the brake caliper (or perhaps the wheel bearing assembly) is causing the problem. I think it's unlikely that something has let go inside the front diff w/out any warning.

I have personally seen the caliper bracket issue at least 5x now. The normal craftsman 3/8 ratchet that everyone uses at home is not enough to tighten the caliper bracket bolts. They should be torqued to at least 80-100 ft-lb.

On the other side of things I have seen sheered center pins in 8.8s a few times. I have not seen one in the front diff but since its a good bit smaller its possible. I personally broke an 8.8 center pin in half doing peg-legged burnouts back when I was 18. You can't always expect it to be the most common issue but its best to start with the simple/easy stuff to check.

I've had the small bearing inside the front diff housing go bad and let the half shaft walk and jam causing the lip of the housing to break

It sounds like some kind of lack of maintenance issue from past owners. Keep inspecting, pulling the front hubs out, then axles, and then the diff. One or more of them is probably bad.

My "new" 98 AWD has the old front diff, laying on my garage floor, set aside as a bad part, now a spare. The housing had less than a cup of oil in it, poured onto a steel pan. Both seals had been leaking, and the past owners did nothing for maintenance. The AWD fluid was virtually black.

Keep digging, you will find it. The hubs are not expensive now, I'd replace those if you don't know the age of the old ones. Replace all fluids, brake fluid too.

Back