2001 Sport 4x4 Indicator Flash

Beano

Reaction score
City, State
North Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping that someone could provide some insight into some trouble I seem to be having with the 4x4 system on my 2001 Sport. I was driving in 4x4 high today (a brief, messy snow storm in CT this morning), and after about 25 minutes (or approx. 13 miles) of seamless operation, the dash indicator blinked off for about one second, then stayed on for about two seconds, then flashed off again. This was accompanied by the "click" sound which I normally hear when flipping 4x4 on or off. This confused and worried me, so I switched to 2wd for the very short remainder of my trip to work. I've checked fuses and looked at the transfer case and the transfer case shift motor. I don't see any evidence of a wiring fault just by looking at it. I have reviewed some posts about rebuilding the 1st gen transfer case shift motor, and I was hoping someone may have come across this same behavior before I started taking that apart- those threads mentioned an inability to shift from 2 to 4wd. I have tried shifting to and from 4x4 high for a few short bursts (a few remaining unplowed roads), and I have no trouble with that- I just really hope this doesn't crap out on me when I need it- they're forecasting more snow for next week. Any help is welcome!

My 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW LEDs have been blinking for a few weeks. I finally went to the tranny shop and they were able to read all of the codes. The diagnostic says that the the transfer case motor is not working. I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll have them check it out further.

Of course, your situation may be different, so it would be good to go get the codes read.

Back