2003 Explorer Limited AWD No traction in slush/ice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Limited AWD No traction in slush/ice

jd1992

Reaction score
City, State
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi,

I have a 2003 Explorer Limited 4.6 V8 AWD (149,000 mi). The truck drives on snow just fine, but if I hit ice or slush, the truck instantly loses traction and I hear a loud grinding sound if I try to accelerate. Tires are in decent shape and transmission does not appear to have any problems.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? My ABS light is on but Im not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

Just guessing, but you have a wheel sensor out. It can't figure out abs because of it and awd is the same way. Could be in the sensor itself, the tires might not be close enough tiki the same size... idk. But that's what it sounds like to me.

Do you have traction control and stabilitrac? If so they use the brakes and limiting the engine power to keep the wheels the same speed for best traction. Also, having and ABS issue can cause many things.

Thanks for the replies. I have not been able to locate anything on the vehicle that says stabilitrac or traction control. Just an ABS light. Im going to take it to my mechanic and have him figure out whats causing the ABS light to come on.

Back