• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer help

shotatboy

Reaction score
City, State
santa rosa, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer eddie
hi, i have a 2006 ford explorer Eddie Bauer i wanna add a factory dvd player but not sure where to get it and what things must i buy to make the upgrade, not sure if my stereo is compatible i have the normal mp3 player one. last not sure how to hold the dvd in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to rain on your parade but with your current set up you would not be able to run any type of DVD player or external screen. Your only solution would be to buy a Portable DVD player or a DVD/CD player with Flip up screen or touchscreen. Even the factory Nav for the 06-08 are the pioneer version and dont support DVD playing (correct me if im wrong) I have an 09 Eddie and had the Sony DVD/Nav with HDD installed and have all the new features like Sirius Travel link and Jukebox(which both are badass!) but that radio is only compatible with the 09-10. So your best bet would be go to crutchfield and find a nice pioneer DVD player if you have sync you will lose it but you willl gain DVD. Choice is yours.

Some options

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX318/Kenwood-DDX318.html?c=3&nvpair=FFCategory%7c%5brank266150%5dCar+Stereos+%26+Components&nvpair=FFSubcategory%7c%5brank168550%5dIn-dash+DVD+Receivers&nvpair=AG_Size%7cFFDouble%40DIN

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX418/Kenwood-DDX418.html?c=3&nvpair=FFCategory%7c%5brank266150%5dCar+Stereos+%26+Components&nvpair=FFSubcategory%7c%5brank168550%5dIn-dash+DVD+Receivers&nvpair=AG_Size%7cFFDouble%40DIN

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105AVX830/JVC-KW-AVX830.html?c=3&nvpair=FFCategory%7c%5brank266150%5dCar+Stereos+%26+Components&nvpair=FFSubcategory%7c%5brank168550%5dIn-dash+DVD+Receivers&nvpair=AG_Size%7cFFDouble%40DIN

I agree with Brent about going aftermarket. You can go factory. You will need the 06-08 factory nav unit, nav antenna, Navteq disk, overhead dvd player & wiring, and the overhead mounting plate. And that's not including the headphones and remote. It'll prolly run you well over $1000 for a used setup if you can find one.

Both Brent and Jupiterak are both correct to use the factory overhead dvd system you will need to find a used one complete with mounting bracket wiring harness, you will have to also upgrade your factory headunit to one that supports the dvd option. To be honest thats a bit much you go cheaper by looking into after market over the head dvd systems and compatible headunits. Aftermarket head units give you better sound quality and overall performance anyway. I have the factory Pioneer headunit in my 07 Mountaineer and it sounds ok but if you were to get a true Pioneer double din then it would sound alot better. Good luck.

hey so i bought a navigaton from ebay AVIC-XD1207ZF and it works perfect but the problem is the button light dont work. what should i do? dose it need programing?

hey shotatboy,

I also bought an AVIC for my explorer, unfortunately the dimmer line in the factory wire harness is one pin off from the after-market wiring harness adapter I bought. (yours might be different)

After trying to move the pinn over, and failing miserably, I ended up splicing off the headlight control switch. If you do go this route, make sure you find a lead that is hot when you want your AVIC to dim the screen and light up the buttons. Otherwise you will have a dim screen on a sunny day and won't be able to see it.

Also if you have the navigation system with that model, it will turn black instead of white land on the nav screen when the dimmer is connected to 12v.

You shouldn't need to program it, to get it to dim. Although, if yours is like mine, you will have to program what color you want it to show. Mine can do like 4 different ones so... I went with green for a while to match the factory instrument lights.

hope this helps.

factory navi

Its a factory navigation. everything is original. The lights on the keys dont work.

not much help

you know the funny thing is, i put a tape and cd deck out of a 05 f-150 in my explorer that did the same thing. didn't think about it till now... /shrugs. this spark anyone's noggin as to why it wouldn't work and how he can fix it... because i thought when he said avic he meant an aftermarket poineer avic like mine. hehe shows how much help i am. :(

If it came from something other than an Explorer, it probably just needs to be programmed. I've heard others that had that issue, and sending the radio out to get programmed for the model and features of the vehicle fixed it up.

=Vic=

Pioneer factory DVD player

Hi, I have an 06' Explorer with Nav and factory Pioneer DVD installed. The DVD player quit working and there is a ticking sound coming from the left side opposite the DVD slot. I had it checked out by an audio repair shop, possibly a relay issue but could not repair it and they advised it would need to sent away or replaced. Anyone know who repairs them, I was told you can't buy this model new anymore. I live in B.C, Canada. Any help appreciated.

Hi, I have an 06' Explorer with Nav and factory Pioneer DVD installed. The DVD player quit working and there is a ticking sound coming from the left side opposite the DVD slot. I had it checked out by an audio repair shop, possibly a relay issue but could not repair it and they advised it would need to sent away or replaced. Anyone know who repairs them, I was told you can't buy this model new anymore. I live in B.C, Canada. Any help appreciated.

There's a few who do repairs on Ebay

Back