Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2015 Explorer Liftgate Rear Molding Trim removal

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by CorryBasler, June 27, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. CorryBasler

CorryBasler Member

City, State:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
    Hello everyone, Im new here I just bought a 2015 Explorer White Base model on Tuesday this week for what I think was a pretty awesome deal. Gave them my 32k Mile Base Model Mustang 3.7l plus $13,000 and they also tossed in 2 years of free oil changes.

Anyways, I would like to plasti-dip a few parts, Im very OCD about overspray lines, and Ive already done my rear tailgates chrome strip, the part that says "Explorer" It looks very good other than a few spots, that the painters tape wasn't close enough, so you can tell if you come up close.

I see their is a bolt on each side of the strip behind the door, can i just take those off and remove the whole strip so i can clean up the overspray or is it more difficult?

EDIT: Ive got it super lose, removed the 2 bolts on the very edge you can see before the plastic trim inside, and then the 4 bolts around the plate lights, but there still seems to be something holding it on around the middle of the area between the far edge and the plate light area. I didn't really want to have to take the rear interior pieces out (Mostly cause i don't know how and don't want to break my 4 day old car)

Last edited: June 27, 2015
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
  4. Chaz1

Chaz1 New Member

Explorer Limited 2011
    Post a pic when you're done! I have been wanting to do this but have been debating if it will look good or not! Thanks!

5. CorryBasler

CorryBasler Member

City, State:
    Goose Creek, SC
    2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
    Looks 10x better if you take it off, its kinda a pain in the butt to remove the plate lights, but well worth the look. I Have it jacked up right now since i only have 1/4 wheels done, but ill post later today or tomorrow.

6. unsung43120

unsung43120 New Member

City, State:
    LA, CA
    2013 Ltd
    The chrome strip is also held in by clips. Once you remove the screws, it take a bit of force to release the chrome strip. Once the strip is removed it will be dangling by the license plate light/rear camera cord.

7. CorryBasler

CorryBasler Member

City, State:
    Goose Creek, SC
    2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]