2016 Explorer - Dimming in instrument cluster on start up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer - Dimming in instrument cluster on start up

I'm pretty sure I solved this mystery. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes and then connected it again. I started the truck and no "dimming" message. You don't lose any settings either, like the radio presets or nav favorites, etc...
I guess I'll have to avoid touching those instrument panel dimmer switches to the right of the light switch in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure I solved this mystery. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes and then connected it again. I started the truck and no "dimming" message. You don't lose any settings either, like the radio presets or nav favorites, etc...
I guess I'll have to avoid touching those instrument panel dimmer switches to the right of the light switch in the future.

When in doubt, power cycle (in this case disconnecting the battery).

When the battery is disconnected, 'Adaptive Learning' will have occur again.

Adaptive Learning
The electronic power steering system adaptive learning helps correct road irregularities and improves overall handling and steering feel. It communicates with the brake system to help operate advanced stability control and accident avoidance systems. Additionally, whenever the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, you must drive your vehicle a short distance before the system relearns the strategy and reactivates all
systems.

Also see the Manual page 290 (1st print) or 289 (2nd printing) for the 'relearning' of the idle and fuel trim strategies.

Peter

Also the clock will need to be reset.. I learned this when the battery was replaced in my 2016 Sport.

Also the clock will need to be reset.. I learned this when the battery was replaced in my 2016 Sport.
It appears the Battery Relearn procedure is no longer applicable to the 2016 models. It has been replaced by the Power Steering relearn.

Peter

Disconnecting the negative for 20 minutes definitely works. I went Christmas shopping tonight and I started the truck up 6 times and no dimming message. I hope this helps the other 2016 owners that don't like this flaw.
AND, no settings were lost. Not even the clock!

When I start my Ex Sport, I see "dimming" in my instrument cluster. It will stay on for about 5 seconds if I don't press ok on the steering wheel to acknowledge the message.
I'd rather not see this message all the time. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? My instrument lights are turned all the way up, so nothing should be dimming at all. Ive called Ford and they said its the first time they've heard about this problem. Seeing dimming at every start gets annoying and I'm shocked it doesn't bother other customers.
I know this post is years old but I accidentally stumbled across it and I have the same issue in my 1 year old '16 Explorer Limited. I honestly don't think I see this every time I start the car (but I'll start paying more attention!). I want to say, the only time I see it is when I'm parked in my north-facing driveway in the late afternoon, early evening. The actual car is parked in the shade of the neighbors house so, while it's still bright out, sun hasn't set yet, I'm sitting in a darker area. And one other time I see it regularly is when I'm in the employee parking lot late at night (I only work one night a week, on Disability) but I'm parked a few spaces away from a parking lot light - so again, it's similar to my driveway; I'm parked in the dark but the car sensor is detecting a bright light nearby. I don't know if that made any sense to anyone, but I'm really pretty sure that it's only in those type of circumstances that I see the "dimming instrument panel" message pop up. Personally, I just always assumed it was something it was supposed to do so I've never paid any attention to it.

Back