• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer sound

kt239

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I recently bought a 92 explorer sport off a buddy for $200 but it had a few problems such as it needed rotors, a seal for the rear end and new brake lines from the splitter to the wheel cylinders. That is all done but there is a strange sound coming from the left front wheel. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a roller coaster going up a hill and it goes with the speed of the vehicle. It does not go away while making turns or when in neutral and is present in forward and reverse. I talked to my boss and he suggested that maybe something is the hub may be sticking or maybe the transfer case needs fluid. This is my first 4wd vehicle and this sound is new to me so im looking for any insight as to what this may be. Also worth a mention it does not seem to be effecting the driveability of the vehicle but the sound is a nuisance so im just kind of keeping it parked until I get some more ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have checked to make sure the "dust shield" backing plate behind the rotor is not bent or corroded such that it is rubbing against the disk? This will make exactly the sound you describe.

CraigK

The Auto Locking Hubs will make this sounds when they are failing. VERY COMMON

CraigRK: The dust shield was so corroded that I actually removed it while I was replacing the rotors, seals and repacking the bearings witch were still good with no sign of wear on the front and back bearing actually..

Tony H: The hubs were replaced about 600 miles ago before it was put into storage for 2 years.. Think maybe something may be sticking inside? If so what may it be and how do I diagnose it?

CraigRK: The dust shield was so corroded that I actually removed it while I was replacing the rotors, seals and repacking the bearings witch were still good with no sign of wear on the front and back bearing actually..

Tony H: The hubs were replaced about 600 miles ago before it was put into storage for 2 years.. Think maybe something may be sticking inside? If so what may it be and how do I diagnose it?

These hubs are sensitive.
Could very well be the issue.
easy diagnosis is to take the Tires off, take the hubs off, put the tires back on and go for a short drive. If the noise is gone.. It's a hub issue.

These hubs do not like grease. if they are gooy, clean them with kerosene, diesel fuel or Home heating oil. Pour some auto trani fluid in there for lube. Dump it out and put back on the car.

Many of us got tired of these Auto Hubs and spent about $200 for reliable Manual Hubs. A snap to switch over.

Thanks for the input I will try that out next nice day I get off work and let you know how it goes. I have read about the manual hub switch but I don't plan on going all out on this vehicle it is just for a winter or two then its off to another persons driveway.

I have the same thing thought it was the hub but i know thats it now . I think stock hubs are mostly plastic garbage . Plan on ordering the warn mile marker hubs . You need a conversion kit dont you . And is it really that easy to install them . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the same thing thought it was the hub but i know thats it now . I think stock hubs are mostly plastic garbage . Plan on ordering the warn mile marker hubs . You need a conversion kit dont you . And is it really that easy to install them . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.htm

Very simple. 30 minutes to do both sides. The Conversion kit is nothing more then two odd looking Nuts to replace the existing one and a Washer. If you've ever taken a '70-'80 Chevy 4WD hub off then you have seen exactly what this Kit contains. You need the unique socket to tighten these Nuts OR if you want to be really really crude, you can use a chisel and hammer to tighten the outside nut.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=136&division=1&category=3

Back