ABS Code 65 and 67 ( 1993 Explorer 4WABS ) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Code 65 and 67 ( 1993 Explorer 4WABS )

woody's limited

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 limited
The ABS light on my 1993 Explorer Limited turns on when the vehicle is driven above 50 or 55 mph for a mile or two, and it remains illuminated until the ignition is cycled off and on again. If the vehicle is driven at 45 mph or under, then the light never turns on. The ABS sytem works as expected when the ABS light is off, but the system is disabled when the light is on.

I ran the ABS codes with an old STAR tester, and the following two codes were found (with the description given by the STAR tester):

67 - Pump Relay
65 - Acceleration Circuit Failure

I have the factory service manual on CD, but I'm in the process of moving, so the CD is not accessible. I also searched this forum, but didn't see anything specific to these ABS codes for the 1st gen 4WABS system.

Does anyone have access to what these codes mean and how to troubleshoot them?

Relay: It appears there are two ABS relays (one for the electric system and one for the hydraulic). I swapped those relays with ones from the cooling fan and WOT A/C (as they are all the same), but the ABS light still illuminated.

Acc Circuit: I believe that I read there is an acceleration sensor, but I'm not sure where it is located without having my manual to reference.

Any help that anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I cleaned up and inspected the front speed sensors when I performed the last brake service, and they visually appeared ok, but I didn't electrically test them.

I have the exact same problem with my 94' Explorer only my ABS kicks on when going 70+ mph. My ABS also works perfectly when the light is off. I have noticed that when my spedometer gets above 70mph it seems to stop then move very quickly to what it should be reading. I also have visually inspected my front and rear ABS sensors, the front right and rear have been replaced and the front left seemed okay. I have not yet tried to check my ABS codes but I have a feeling our solutions will be the same. Hopefully someone on here knows what your codes mean :)

Back